medicinal plants dogs

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by laza, Aug 13, 2008.

1. laza

laza New Member

hi,
    i'm new to the forum and thcomputers in general, so please excuse me if i do the wrong thing. i live in humpty doo in the n.t, on 5 arces,im trying to impact as little as i can to the bush while still having gardens veggie patch chooks dogs and lawn.
    the topic i need help with is plants preferebly ground covers that are medicinal for dogs or just dog friendly, as my pup has easily irratated skin?
    so i eagerly await any suggestions so i can finish my dogs sandpit and play area.
    thanks laza

2. Paul Cereghino

Paul Cereghino Junior Member

Re: medicinal plants dogs

No first hand experience. Consider: The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable, by Juliette de Bairacli Levy. Best I've seen of its kind.

3. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

Grow some Aloe Vera. It is a succulent - not a ground cover, but vets prescribe aloe vera ointment for animal skin infections, and a leaf of aloe vera, cut and squeezed, provides exactly the same thing.

Fatty meat in the diet is also good for dogs with problem skin, a vet told me. He said don't give such a dog kangaroo meat as it has little fat.

I

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

There is an excellent book by Juliet de Bairici Levey (sp??)[ Herbal Handbook for the Dog
    She is especially good on hounds ( Afghans, greyhounds etc).
    I can highly recommend her from personal experience.

5. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Laza,

If you live in Humpty Doo, you have endemic problems with fleas and sandflies as well as perennial mosquitoes and buffalo fly. I would recommend a flea collar [and cut the excess off and bury it in his sandpit or bed]. Do feed some garlic to your dog so it builds up his immunity to bities. Keep pyrethrum sray handy you also have ticks to fend off...... :shock:

If you really want to help, put up some bird nest boxes. They need to be 450mm deep and about 150mm square with a 25mm inlet hole. Parrots will chew it out to the absolute minimum size they need.

Albizia julibrissen [POM POM OR SILK TREE] is a sprawling bush that does hedge well and is a good small finch/dove type bush. It's branches are hard to penetrate so it encourages them too.

cheers,

6. Bianca

Bianca Guest

A particularly good herb for skin conditions is Golden Seal. If you can't find the seeds, you can buy it in ointment form from health food shops -sunspirit brand I think, its only about $10.

Our Lab has VERY bad skin, we use the ointment each time his skin breaks open.

The best solution however is to keep open dirt patches to a minimum and plant HEAPS of pyrethrum and penyroyal and other natural insecticides to deter fleas, as in most cases poor skin condition in dogs arrises from flea allergies (as is the case with our dog) the irritation caused by plants is a secondary symptom as the skin being in such poor condition due to to the underlying allergy is particularly susceptible to irritants.

You can brew a tincture of penyroyal and pyrethrum (dont use if pregnant) and use this as a topical spray on the pup too...this will help deter fleas again....add a little cammomile and calendula to sooth his skin.

The biggest thing we've found with our dog is getting his skin healed after a break out -thats the hard part and usually requires unfortunatly huge doses of quarterzone (i've no doubt thats not how its spelt) but with a vets assistance, get his skin healed up so that his skin isnt broken and it is MUCH easier to maintain a good skin health than try and heal a bad break out if you don't use preventative methods.

Hope this helps :)

I have heaps of natural dogggy (and other animal treatments) PM me and I will email you a copy if you're interested :)

7. Michaelangelica

Golden seal in a fantastically useful "Indian squar" herb. (good for helping you get pregnant among other things!)
    but it is a little endangered in the wild. It grows in N. USA I doubt if it would grow here except in the Dandenongs or Tasmania.
    It would be a valuable herb crop if you could grow it.
    Calendula/comfrey/chamomile might be cheaper for animals.

8. Tas'

Tas' Junior Member

What do you feed the dog? Grain based dry foods can cause skin problems on their own, and can also lower the immune system which causes them to react to plants, fleas, etc., they should normally be able to fend off.

9. kanintalagaeh

kanintalagaeh Junior Member

I used to feed my dog crap Pedigree when I didn't know any better, and he was sick all the time and got skin messiness. My advice is, take him for wild walks and see if he eats anything. Our dog began eating lemongrass voraciously, as well as tinospora cordifolia, an extremely bitter plant (both we grew outside our home). This got him a bit better, and taking him off the crap food an onto alternating raw- and human-food (we eat pretty healthy) made him healthy.

If you are up for some labor, you can make an oil out of neem, gliricidia sepium, or terminalia catappa. This helps lots.

10. david n

david n Junior Member

An interesting question, haven't thought about that much. A ground cover weed my dog particularly likes to smell & eat is Pellitory-of-the-Wall ( Parietaria officinalis) it tastes and smells nutty perhaps that's why. It is used medicinally for soothing burns, wounds and scalds, might be agreeable with your dogs condition, but is avoided with people (&dogs presumably) with allergies. It likes dry spots. It's also said to be good for toothaches but didn't help mine. ("Plants for a Future" website have more info on it).

Tradescantia (Wandering Willy (or Wandering Jew)) is said to cause skin conditions on contact, in dogs and humans, it's everywhere here, I've seen no evidence of this, my snails love eating it .

11. Michaelangelica

I was referring to some spam which has now been removed.
    For my pains I have now been appointed a permaculture Spam Warrior
    See it does you no good to complain! :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. david n

david n Junior Member

What "Crap"are you referring to?

13. Tas'

Tas' Junior Member

The spam that was there and has been taken off now.

14. david n

david n Junior Member

Thats a relief, I thought you probably meant spam but also though you might have meant my posting (I'm new), if I could make a suggestion, it might be an idea to identify spam as the enemy in such postings to avoid "collateral damage"; the feelings of "innocent bystanders".

I'd be willing to try moderating if you're interested, I currently screen the posts for the Plants for a Future website which I enjoy a lot, about 15 minutes a day would probably be my input, but I might get addicted and want to do more.

Do you have my email there? contact me if interested.

15. Michaelangelica

See above changed post. You are volunteering??! very dangerous. Remember "The only meaning of my existence is as a warning to others" (dispair.com) :)[​IMG]

16. david n

david n Junior Member

RE:Volunteering
    Actually since I just discovered the site it would probably be better I wait 'til I'm sure i have a committment to the site and youz are more familiar with me, unless you're in a real pickle. Cheers

17. Michaelangelica

Do dogs like/ eat "Cat Grass"
    I met a lady,living in a Sydney flat, who used to buy a big plant each week for her 2 cats to eat !
    She reckoned it was cheaper than Vet Bills.