meat rabbits, chooks and worms...

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by tricycleacres, Jan 15, 2012.

1. tricycleacres

tricycleacres Junior Member

Hi folks,

wondering if anyone out there is utilizing a chicken / rabbit / worm system at current that can shed some light on possible design failures for me.

current I have 30 chooks, on a 3 section fenced rotational grazing plan (due to many dogs in our area who love to eat my sweet birds). This spring I will be adding a worm farm in a tub (I have had worms in past and am looking forward to a larger outdoor system), and totally new to me are rabbits, we I have wanted to add for some time. THe plan is to start small with 2 females and one male, to be bred for meat / fur / and poo of course.

What I want to know/ confirm / inquire about is:

• Can the rabbits and chooks graze a section together? or does it make sense for them to follow one another? in which case who gets the fresh greens first?

• Is anyone out there actually feeding worms only rabbit droppings? I have read over and over again that rabbit droppings are the perfect complete food for worms? I don't intent to only feed them that, of course more diversity is best.. but I am wanting some insight on ratios of poo to other goodies and what is most beneficial to worms.

• Finally I haven't constructed or designed the rabbit hutch yet, and want to have the manure easily harvested and transportable to the worm system, and design images out there to inspire me?

... I know that in lots of books they suggest having the rabbit hutch directly over the worm bin, but I have read numerous times that it can cause eye problem and other issues in the rabbits, and want to keep all critters happy and healthy. Anyone out there that can speak to this from first hand experience?

Cheers

2. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

It seems that keeping Rabbits and Worms are popular in the U.S. Have a look at https://thewormexpert.com/ Bruce Galle who runs the site keeps rabbits and also has the Organic Worm Farm https://www.orderworms.com/main.sc

You can ask Bruce questions on the Worm Expert and there is heaps of information there on worms as well as the Organic Worm Farm.

There seems to be some issue with the rabbits urine and amonia. I think if it is not too thick there wouldn't be a problem or just let it age a bit. Good luck with your search