Maya Mountain Research Farm gets a web page, (sort of)

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by christopher, Sep 28, 2005.

1. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Richard,

I understood completely, and we have full intention of fleshing it out (she's workin' on it right now...), and laughed when I read it. No worries, I was trying to be humourous about the depressed thing. Hope it didn't fall flat.

Will update soon! And, seriously, thank you for your comments!~

Christopher

2. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Alright! More content! Christopher, you must tell Dawn that the new location page looks very cool. The description of where you are is simply tantalising. If my visa status allowed me to rejoin my family here on this volacano in the middle of the Pacific after such a journey I would set off right now in anticipation of paddling that dugout canoe up to your place...
    And is that a Condor??? AWESOME!

3. Richard on Maui

Hey, this is slightly off topic, but I have been meaning to ask you for a while... and the image on your front page of the Bambusa vulgaris vittatas and a recent comment you made regarding the devastation in your area after the hurricane a few years leading to a scarcity of building materials, reminds me,
    ahem,
    You do have some good bamboo's there don't you? I mean, the Guadua's are from central and south america right? It is touted as being the best of the bamboo's for structural strength and resistance to decay. Of course, they are supposed to be pretty hurricane resistant too, yeah?
    I know the green and gold kine bamboo is pretty while it is growing, but it is pretty worthless in most other respects as bamboo's go.

4. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

[​IMG]

Um, Cwis, Mine Pwince, Nongest of Nongs, Darls (insert hearts and lovey dovey emoticons) don't worry about what the (horse traders) people told you or the size....um, look at the colour pet!!!!!! :shock:
    Although there ARE Rhode Island Whites but then he'd be WHITE wouldn't he?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

5. Richard on Maui

Either way, he was a fine looking rooster. A chook a bloke could be right proud of. A real credit to the chookery.

6. Richard on Maui

Ooooh. Now the little window box changes. Cool! That'd be a rather large San Pedro cactus would it, Christopher? Me and Tim were talking about that today, how San Pedro is Saint Peter, and you are in San Pedro Columbia, Belize. We mused to one another whether or not that variety of cactus is found there. I thought perhaps not, that there are probably a thousand localities named for San Pedro, and I thought that probably that cactus is from a drier climate. But there it is, on your website... Did you bring it in especially, or is it native to the area?

Technical point - I click on the window box photo thingy, and it just loads up the front page again.

Look, I'm sorry, you guys are obviously working on the site right now and I should just let you get on with it and go to bed.

7. christopher

First things first, Tullymoor (Q o t F, H oT (D)),

Yer rooster pic looks like a hen... a bot of a nelly rooster, that one in your picture, if ya asks me... nannee nanneee boo boo. Okay, I concede your point, perhaps Ricko was really an imposter... but he was gorgeous, and he did became a mean little booger (and delicious, so they say).

Richard, thanks for the push. We would have taken months to get around to it. More coming, next time on biodiversity and agriculture. That will be content heavy for ya!

And we have a small start of guadua inermis or angustifolia, not sure of the taxonomy (not really familiar w/bamboo, but learning). We are expecting another 20 10 foot long pieces to plant out anyday from a neighbor.

Got to run, tea time (tho I be havin' my cawfee :coffee2: ), more later. Thanks again for your input!

C (to Richard) and Cw (to Tullymoor :love7: )

8. christopher

Richard,

Back from a visit across river w/Ignacio and family to talk about cacao.

The cactus came from somewhere else, north, Mexico.... not originally from Belize, tho it has been in the country for a couple hundred years (so I have been told).

So bamboo, yes, we are intending to plane a pile of the guadua we have in the watershed soon. We have a few sticks of it, less than two years old, 40 feet tall already... but with thin culm walls, not ready for building.

And, it is true, the b. vulgaris is next to worthless for anything other than mulch making and soil retention. We keep it around because we found sticks of it and planted it out. It burns nicely when dry, hot, fast, and the ash is high in silica. Dawn also rakes the leaves up underneath for use in the chookery (nice to see you using that word, btw..), and we like to see it as it is a pretty bamboo, if you can get past its near worthlessness once harvested.....

Guaduas do occur up here, but you see more of them in Colombia, Panama, Venezuela and places south of here. We would like to grow lots of it and try building with it soon, but need to propagate enough of it to make it all work.

And, no, not condor, a vulture, sort of a "condor lite", less majestic, but holding the same important part in the ecosystem. The land below is our place, and I am across the river taking that photo from Ignacio Ash's farm (he is on board of directors at MMRF, too.)

Best,

Christopher

9. Richard on Maui

Oh good. You need a good stand of Guadua. It has lovely thorns, but once the culms reach their mature height you can prune off the side branches and that makes them a bit easier to move around. You still have to deal with the thorns when you harvest the poles of course, but I guess if they are as durable as they are reported to be, then a little thorniness (or a lot) is worth the hassle. There is a variety of angustifolia that they are calling "less thorniensis" here in the islands, but it still has thorns.