Mapping - My start.

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Pakanohida, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I couldn't sleep last night, woke up at 2:22am to see the sky lit up by passing thunderstorms to the north. Wind gusts are around 65mph (over 100Kph).

Anyway, I worked from a variety of sources on the internet, I have a master file in layers for editing, and here is my start. I have notes from observing this last year I still need to add, not to mention buildings better and so on. The south border of my property is an old logging road which should be added. There is also a forest to the south making my light difficult at best.

View attachment 1099
    Next go around will show my zones, and more. Each go around will be more accurate.

Attached Files:

2. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Hi Pakanohida.

Is this Oregan, USA?

I don't know if its of much concern to you but the pink lines don't show up very well on the image. A scale might be a good idea and also a legend. Just to make it more meaningful to other viewers/readers.

3. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    Try google maps for a clearer view of the area

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

You are 100% correct on every account. It is Oregon, USA, Your right about the pink lines, and the scale would of made sense. LOL Well, like I said, it is a work in progress. Round 2 of it coming soon.

For the record, I am zone 9b, north facing slope so sunlight is from the south, opposite of you Sun burn. However, because of my latitude it makes for very interesting tracking of the sunlight.

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

LOL, this is google maps + elevation maps.

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Well, I am out there today checking the property lines and making notes. I will admit I am a bit bewildered with my property lines vs reality. The county I am in uses GPS coordinates for property lines, however, to my south is a road that is my border also. However, I am in strong belief that the property line goes through the road and into property to my south. This is making it difficult for my mapping & very confusing.

7. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Why don't you go and talk to the lands department or whatever authority you have there.

We don't use the zone system here in oz. I think its a thing particular to USA. What's your latitude.

We generally talk in terms of tropical, sub tropical, temperate, but locating it on the coast or inland also counts. I know florida is 11. I think i must be about 12

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

How do you get across the highway? Is it raised and you can get under?

9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Actually, that is part of the lowest part of the property. The highway is below, and you drive along it, eventually you come to a road, make a left, and then another left uphill to my property. Hmm, just writing that out gave me pause for a huge micro / macro climate adjuster for the property. I will go take a photo to explain.

10. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Odd patterns...

This is a view from the house backdoor out. From the place of the photo it drops about 20' right off the back door, there is room to play here. However, it then drops again & we have been unable to get through the growth down there to find the top of the 20 to 40' cliff at roadside.

What I find amazing here is that this areas works very much like the San Francisco Bay area in California. There, as morning light comes in, the fog burns and causes air currents coming from the entire central valley of California to pass through the area near the Golden Gate bridge (like lungs exhaling) and then by around 1pm it is done. Between around 3 & 4pm the reverse starts. People can literally see a wall of fog form outside the Golden Gate bridge, and then it will works its way through to the rest of the bay area, and then slowly start to work its way back into the Central Valley.

Here, something similar but not as dynamic is at work. Fog is around nearly most mornings all winter & spring. And slowly burns out to my north, and to my east in the mornings, which happen to be the areas with the most flooding during the winter.

Here's the photo.

View attachment 1100

Attached Files:

11. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

More mapping done.

Little by little I add more information. I am planning to use a projector and trace this onto a very large sheet of paper for better and more edits with layers.

View attachment 1101

Attached Files:

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

For Clarity

Here are 4 images for clarity.

This is the South view, and one truly closed canopy. Beyond this (light source) I think it is being clear cut. =( My neighbors (and possibly I) have rights to the well in this valley.

View attachment 1105

Cob Kitchen, this is a work in progress. It has 2 rocket stove tops, a double chamber cob oven, and a wood grill. A smoker (something needed here) is going to be built here as well. Blueberries, artichokes, lime, onion, potato, elephant garlic, and some kind of cherry tree (possible mock), rose, and a whole lot more are in this immediate area.

View attachment 1103

This is an image of the road we use to come up to the property from the highway on the map. To the viewer left is the south, to the viewer right is my property. A fedge is needed on right.

View attachment 1102

Lastly, this is the fruit trees I inherited with the property which is slowly becoming a food forest. In this image are 5 different apple trees, a cherry tree which had to be crowned :sweat: There is also huckleberry & blueberry in the area. Naturalized tulips near the crowned cherry tree. The deck has a chicken (Chock) tractor work in progress. The black trashcan is actually a worm composter. There is also a plum, apricot, honey locust, 2 grapes, and in the distance is a biochar double mandala garden. Currently there is also a patch of crimson clover starting to grow in an area cut / terraced by hand in order to facilitate ramps and walk ways better.

The Deck is where the 2 grapes are growing, they are placed to be a windbreak for the summertime. The wind prevails from the southwest and is a great future power source. The deck is also where we are slowly building a new, greener home w/ greenhouse. Something I desperately need.

View attachment 1104

Attached Files:

13. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I started to ask if you were going to capture the water from the fog then I looked at your photos and saw that there's plenty of water everywhere.

And I see your Australian language lessons are coming along nicely!
    Your climate is so different to mine it's hard to know where to give you advice. But the basic principles are the same...

Any chance of a photo / plan of your rocket cookers? Are they working well for you?

14. DJ-Studd

DJ-Studd Junior Member

Yep. Different side of the world but I've found the same thing. Government issued contour maps don't seem to reflect the true lay of the land. Sure, they may show you where the hills are, but that's about it. To do any real planning I need to get out there with a laser level and gps Darren Doherty style (why does everything cool involve him? haha).

Have a look at Darren's Picasa gallery, he's got a whole heap of property plans online which are a huge help in getting ideas.
    https://www.picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz/PermacultureDesignPortfolio

15. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Wow, thank you Dj! Looks like I have a lot to look at. Here I am thinking of some basic design questions and putting them to my wife & this man went well beyond what I have.

I have also been planning to do a "quick sketch" version of Land form/slopes, water, light / microclimates, vegetation / wildlife, and lastly zone and use plans... all seperate so I can use them as overlays on a larger wall size map. However, weather has been a tad on the wet side again.

I constantly wish I had Maya software lately to do this, and to do 3d time lapse studies.

16. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Soon, little busy tomorrow. :D

17. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Well, rather suddenly I have now 4 new trees (totaling 10 different fruits / nuts on them); along with 5 different berry roots, Rhubarb & Asparagus. Now I am left to making educated guesses as to where these will be planted, and in the case of the berries, do I use them as a fedge, up a tree, or some other vertical manner.

Things like this make it difficult to map / plan properly! :D

18. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

19. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

More bubble mapping...

More bubble mapping

I have noticed that pretty much each section of my property is going to be a map unto itself at this rate and I will need a wall to redraw this on constantly till it is better defined.

This is a very small section of the property, closest to the bottom right corner of the other overhead images.

I will admit this is getting frustrating but I understand and realize how important this step is. I also started asking myself (And my wife) questions like what goals do we have, what desired items we want.

I also know I have other needs that will need to be addressed such as ramps instead of stairs for nearly all of the property (disabled persons access) & sitting areas. There is also a wish for a sauna & meditation area for spiritual reasons.

I am also trying to take into account how my property will interact with my neighbors properties around me, as well as what I need to improve not only on these borders, but around my own property.

I also found 4 questions that seemed important to me in the book "Edible Food Forests" vol. 2.

1. Will I use native, exotics, or opportunist plants? Answer is yes to all 3 since they are already here. For example, English Ivy is a pest plant here, but it does serve a permaculture role.
    2. How much am I willing to work for high maintenance food? - I think that depends on the food. I plan to use the habitat edges I have here, and some new ones. However, things that require a hot house to live seem pointless and counter to my views. I view things more like Fukuoka & E. Hazlip with a dash of Findhorn.
    3. How much do I want to adapt or modify my problem areas? - I don't mind modification so long as there is no compaction of the soil unless making a pond. I.E. - I believe for the most part this property will only see hand tools.
    4. How / Will do I plan to experiment? - I wish to do research on Schauberger style flow forms, & biochar while trying to listen to nature as deeply as they do in Findhorn, Scotland.

Oh well, time for the peon to go back outside. :rofl:

Attached Files:

20. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I too have found that I need smaller and smaller maps as I get down to the details. The next thing you'll find is that you need a new map regularly... I redo mine each winter. It is amazing to see how much can change in a year. You forget that when you are out in the garden most days as it seems to change at a snails pace. I really must get out in mine with the camera and take some autumn pictures to share.