Mangos in Perth

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by hawkypork, Apr 21, 2010.

1. hawkypork

hawkypork Junior Member

I realise that most of you are not intimately familiar with the Perth climate and soils (Mediterranean, 31degrees south, about 800mm, coastal limestone ridges) but...

I recently got a place with a sick looking 170cm mango tree but with a thick trunk, (about 15cm). I was going to pull it out but following watering it has sprouted a heap of lush full size leaves.

What do youse reckon; will I be able to get it to bear fruit or should I save myself the grief and put something else in?

2. hawkypork

hawkypork Junior Member

What no replies? I was starting to think you readers had an answer to everything that occupies me.
    Well I saw a healthy mango tree on a limestone ridge near by and it reputably fruits. So I will be keeping my stunted little mango and showering it with love (and possibly the contents of my bladder).

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Gee it was a bit quiet here wasn't it? I don't know the answer, but peeing on it seems as good a place to start as any! I guess in the right microclimate you might get a win. They are BIG trees at maturity though...

4. Rainbow

Rainbow Junior Member

Mangoes will grow and fruit well in Perth.
    They are very thirsty trees and it sounds like yours is thirsty.

Pune away all dead wood, and long rangey branches. When your tree is healthy, it will sprout several new branches from around where you have pruned.

Because it has obviously been stressed, I would not allow any fruit to form this season. Let it blossom, but remove fruit as it forms. If you just remove blossom, it will just keep shooting more.

In Perth you should expect flowers in spring with fruit ready around March.

Feed your tree while it blossoms, again as fruit is starting to set and again just before it reaches maturity.

All in all they are pretty hardy trees and it is very hard to kill them... we have one here that has ben cut down at ground level and still insists on growing back!!

I live in Carnarvon and have 50 mango trees on the property so I know a little bit about how they work ;)

5. charlesinnaloo

charlesinnaloo Junior Member

I can also confirm that I have seen plenty of mangoes growing and fruiting in Perth, however I dont know which varieties they are so its well worth a little effort to see what your fruit is like.
    It might be a crappy seedling but if it grows well you might be able to graft etc.
    Definitely worth a go. But yes feed and water it up. I have a Bowen/Kensington is now but its only a stick 1.8 high so no mangoes for me yet.
    Cheers, Charles

6. Foreman89

Foreman89 New Member

have a look at this it will tell you how much water and what to feed your mango .