Manglewurzel in NQ??

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by lovingmygarden, Jun 28, 2009.

1. lovingmygarden

lovingmygarden Junior Member

Hi there,
    Has anyone successfully grown mangelwurzel up here in NQ? I have planted some seeds to see how they grow, but from what I`ve read it is not supposed to grow well here.
    I like to try anyway, but I`d love to hear from anyone who has grown it here.
    lovingmygarden

2. lovingmygarden

lovingmygarden Junior Member

Re: Manglewurzel in NQ??

Well just hought I`d fill you in on my attempts to grow mangleworzel up here in north qld. What more can I say but I have done really well with it!!!! I have it gorwing in an area that is half sunny and half filtered sunlight, it is growing in mostly mushroom compost, mixed in with soil and muclched with plenty of straw. The lwaves are all huge and the beet part at the bottom looks quite large too, I might harvest one today and cook it up for dinner. I have been picking plenty of leaves for the chooks which they love, so this is one plant I will definitely grow again, its just as easy (if not easier) than silver beet. I grew silverbeet near it and they got munched up by bugs and yet I haven`t had to pick any off the mangleworzel at all.
    Give it a try everyone, I thinkthis plant is awesome, you get to eat the leaves and the beet underneath and it is easy to grow. The leaves are like silverbeet and apparentely the bottomis like beetroot. Yum!!
    lovingmygarden :mrgreen: