Mandala garden

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Peter Gustafsson, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Peter Gustafsson

Peter Gustafsson New Member

Climate:
    Cold temperate
    Hello everyone!
    This year I'm preparing a Mandala garden in my backyard. I'm only growing potatoes there this year, since it takes all of this summer for me to prepare the mandala circle. But I wan't some help from you people here. I live in a cold temperate climate, in the middle of Sweden, where we usually use raised beds. Should I make the garden beds raised in the mandala too? Or should I raise all of the mandala, including the space for fruit trees, chicken fodder and the like? That takes a lot of organic matter, but I think I can get it.
    If I should raise all of it, do I need some sort of wall around it all? Or should I plant something special on the edges to prevent the raised part to spread down, if you know what I mean?

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Peter,
    As a mandala garden is as much about aesthetics as practicality, I think pretty much anything goes whilst taking your plant needs into consideration. I personally always liked the idea of tall raised beds for intensively farmed annuals (for ease of access), lower raised beds for less work-intensive crops, and trees at ground level (and maybe a pond for below ground level). This would lend an aura of 3-D to the earthworks in the mandala.
    I'm not sure about your winter climate, but we always plant our trees in the ground to help prevent killer freezing temperatures affecting the roots that might occur in a raised bed.

3. Terra

Terra Moderator

Hi Peter
    The chicken dome Mandala garden system is very good food production system and rewarding as well , the fun in building it the joy you get visiting the chickens picking the produce, labour and most important TIME saving .

Just go with the ground level for a start you can always go up .!!!

Just get started if your going to build it all up it will become a monster in your back yard and wear you down

If you havnt read Linda Woodrows little book on mandalas do so its worth ten times what we pay for it.

If you cant have chickens Linda has other options just means more work for the humans

My members thread Terras Patch has a bit on my mandala journey page 1 to 4 mainly

Ive been a been a bit absent lately used to be a regular on here the forum design changed and I was locked out on and off for nearly a year for some reason intermittent sign in trouble that lasted months , I'm guessing that's why a lot of the other members have gone missing , no problem new members coming all the time.

Get your organic matter from where ever you can cheapest is grow on site , think outside the square many other sources eg. heavy cardboard you can get for free wet it break it up and compost a bit before you throw it in .

If your starting with potatoes a good quick bed is spread a bit of manure , cover with heavy cardboard sheets cut small holes in cardboard and plant seed potatoes then cover with as much organic matter as you can ive done this on "New" ground with amazing results

https://permaculturenews.org/forums/index.php?threads/terras-patch.11082/

4. Ben Zumeta

Ben Zumeta New Member

Climate:
    Coast redwood forests of NW California
    I hypothesize that in your climate a south facing keyhole garden could allow access to more of the plants and create a warm pocket in the south-facing center. You could even make a compost pile in the center to heat it up more.