Making Rocket Stoves.

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Pakanohida, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I wanted my first tutorial to be total People Share, so here goes. Please note, this can also be made of cob. Next time I will write something for Craig to put up. :)

[​IMG]

Enjoy.

BTW, IMO mine is not done, I am going to tile mine on the outside.

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Thanks for that
    Looks simple to make and adapt to available materials.

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Neat! That's sufficiently uncomplicated enough that I might actually be able to do that…. So you could then put a small pot holder on top and put your fry pan on there?

4. Grasshopper

3 stones would make a trivet or the tip should have an old metal one

5. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Yes, Pako.
    It looks simple enough, but then you have to make some kind of grill above it to keep a pot of water just the right height above the top to be close enough to the heat to cook and far enough away to not restrict the flow of heat. Also, I would vibrate the mass of quickrete to make sure I didn't have air bubbles (pockets) in it.
    I must admit, though, it's not like any "rocket stove" I've seen yet. Curious and curiouser.

Love and Hugs from

Uncle Ben and
    Auntie Willie.

6. Grasshopper

If you didnt want to burn PVC
    You could join old soup cans to make the inside pipes
    Just need some tin snips
    Cut a hole in one and slide another in and cuts some flaps in another and push it on top to get double height

https://survivallife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/5.png
    https://survivallife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/6.png

It will burn out eventually
    Its a good idea to have a little flap in the burn hole to hold up the twigs and allow air to suck in.
    This could be a tin can cut up and replaced or a piece of stainless steel scrap you pick up along your travels.

7. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Burn PVC~!!!!??? ACK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reread step 2, remove pvc after 1 to 1.5 hours, its reusable.

Many old soup cans have aluminum in them and I did not want to go down that road and eventually get Alzheimer's disease.

8. Grasshopper

9. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Ran this design via Bazman, he wasn't too impressed.

Something along the lines that concrete will absorb heat, not reflect heat and within not too much time will crack and fall apart.

10. Grasshopper

11. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Same thing would happen with cob, yet people build them.

Doesn't Baz have a business making biochar, of course he wouldn't be impressed!? I just made something simple, re-useable to make more, to eat. I've made other versions but right now I am happy with this one and how it is working for my wok.

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

13. bazman

bazman Junior Member

The whole idea of a rocket stove is to make something which directs the heat to the cooking surface while burning up/converting the volatile smoke. Concrete will absorb a lot of the heat as will black carbon steel. What you could try is perlite in your concrete mix as it has a very good heat reflective capacity, but I have made chambers/pipes using GP concrete, perlite and fibre glass reinforcing and they didn't last that long. What you have made is quite thick so it maybe ok. Try adding some perlite next time as your aggregate. You will also want to leave it for as long as possible to dry as expanding moisture from the fire heat may crack the unit. AgLime has a very good heat reflective capacity, so you could design something that sits in a bucket of lime dust, that would be cool and pretty cheap to make. Re: PVC plastics, yes I know you removed them but I just wanted to say that the off gases/smoke from PVC plastics are really really nasty and you should never burn PVC.

14. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

R O F L M A O I knew last night you would be here and write all this up. Im done in this thread, my bad for sharing something simple, easy, and does work.

15. Grasshopper

Im going to make one based on your design with tweaks.

Gas prices in Australia are about to go through the roof when Gladstone starts exporting in the next few months,so its good timing.

16. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Isn't the whole idea with this forum to share, discuss and try to improve ideas and knowledge? While S.O.P's use of the words "wasn't too impressed." was not what I meant to convey. I liked your idea, it's simple and easy to make :y: what I wanted to share is my knowledge of dealing with concrete and heat reflective mediums with regards to effectively producing heat with biomass. Sorry if I offended you. Baz

17. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Turns out I may have offended him by using the incorrect language. Not that it is necessary, but if Pak needs me to show him the original email exchange so as not to offend his delicate e-sensibilities (which I'm surprised by), he can feel free to PM me and I will share what Baz said.

18. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

I pointed this out to Pak in the Hello from South Carolina thread.

So many times I saw on a Turtle Forum people coming up with ideas only to find others have tried it or thought of things they hadn't thought of. In the end saved people money and they gained far better knowledge from it.

19. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

You said it all in one sentence, Brian. I believe Pako intimated that this was the first of something he was learning about and wanted to share it (in it's original form) with the rest of us. Thank you, Pako, if you;re still here. Of course we all appreciate the sharing, and, as with the old model T, saw some tweaks that could be made to the original, and deigned to offer them, as well as notice any possible drawbacks of the original plan, which, I'm sure Pako has found himself. I'm dead-certain no one, including myself, (need something the right height to support the vessel being heated) meant to detract from the gift being offered. If you are still here, Pako, Thank you. And that goes for all who have offered their thoughts, for I've gained enough from the original and "tweaks" to make my own stove. I am thinking of soaking it in a barrel of water for a couple of months to give it a real slo-cure. My father explained to me that the hardest concrete he was aware of was at the bottom of the dam he helped to build in New York as a surveyer. It will be slo-cured and then allowed to dry out for another few weeks. Of course, in an emergency situation that process would be out of the question.

Now that I've managed to get back in, I'll head on over to "Hello" if I can get there from here.

Love to all,

Uncle Ben

20. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

There seems to be an interpretation that I am upset which is the furthest thing from my reality.

I have had too many obligations, and problems over the last year that finally got taken care of recently to get upset about someone criticizing this Lil image I made.

You all are talking about this, what more can I ask for. :bow: