Lots of stones... suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by dylanz, Nov 10, 2007.

1. dylanz

dylanz Junior Member

I'm prepping a chook area, and have tons of fist to smaller sized stones. Any suggestions about what to do with them ?
    As we're building our gardens right now too... I was thinking about putting all the stones in our keyhole paths. Would be a bit rough on the feet... but, don't really have anything else to make the paths with (with the exception of cardboard on the bottom to supress weeds).
    Know they could be used for drainage purposes... but can't think of anything I need to drain :)
    Thanks !

2. kathleenmc

kathleenmc Junior Member

Hiya Dylanz,

I've just come back from a 3 week job in Tassie where the owner of the property had used a huge amount of fist sized stones.....unfortunately she used them to make a raised border around 2 acres of garden beds and my main job down there was removing them and the HUGE amount of weeds that had taken residence between them....really next to impossible to remove weeds without disturbing the beds and veges/plants she had growing..... and they were little high rise homes for millions of ants, slaters, redbacks etc.....All rocks were taken to an area that needed drainage. They would be okay as pathways if you could also concrete them in, but then you have to way up how much concrete you would need and the embodied costs etc.....the good thing about organic pathways such as paper and sawdust is that it eventually breaks down and you can use it on the garden the next growing season. I'd try to find someone who needs landfill.....they'd happily come and take them away.

Goodluck darl....!!

kathleen

3. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Dylanz,

You can always use them for building a slip form house...

I am with Kathleen: DON'T use them for a path unless you like weeding. Even then, ants and critters will move in... it'd look great for a few weeks or months... then... In our eternal optimism, we have repeated that mistake many times!

Good luck!

C

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    I'll third that about the weeding.

Are the stones smooth or rough or sharp or?

Round or with edges?

And, if you know, what the stones are made of?

5. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

stockpile them for when you get the urge to make a stonewall (it will happen - everyone has a genetic predisposition to creating a stone wall some time in their life LOL)

6. dylanz

dylanz Junior Member

Hahaha... thanks for the replies everyone :)
    Luckily I only wheeled one wheelbarrow full of stones over... and knew something didn't feel right about it.

Not sure what stones they are... but look like river stones from the local river. Most are smooth.

So... I'm going to put them to the side for now... and definitely going to go with a more biodegradeable path. Could definitely see the pain in removing them, as well as the weeds some day.

Thanks !
    :p

7. Permibeginner

Permibeginner Junior Member

if you dont want them why not stock pile them and then advertise for sale as mulch?

They will sell to someone who wants the lanscape look as they will help the soil hold water by preventing evaporation.

8. arawajo

arawajo Junior Member

Hey paradisi - when your genetic urge happens next come and do some stone walls for me - I have thousands of rocks but not the right genes to do anything about it!

9. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

10. TropicalRose

TropicalRose Junior Member

Why not a rock garden or rock pile with earth basin in the top to grow cascading plants? I have this in mind for our piles of rocks and boulders. Also build a herb spiral if you are either prepared to concrete between the rocks to stop weeds and bugs inhabiting the cracks, or plant thickly to outcompete the weeds?