Looks like the new food bill is still being pushed through in NZ

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by mischief, Mar 7, 2014.

1. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I just got a message from my daughter in law, letting me know that the new food bill is still being worked on with the intent to push through in New Zealand.

I'm abit slow on being able to post links so not sure if these are going to work or not, here goes.

https://www.foodbill.org.nz/wiki/Food_Bill_Issues_List

https://www.activism.com/en_NZ/petition/oppose-the-new-zealand-government-food-bill-160-2/34017

This really pisses me off.
    Someone will be able to walk onto my property armed with a gun, order me off my own property and make me a criminal because I will be continuing to grow and share my own food and garden seed as I always have and as my grandparents always did.

Just for once, wouldnt it be nice if politicians would grow some balls and do what is right for their country and people rather than bow to the jack boot brigade.

Isnt it supposed to be election year?

I feel a murderous rage coming on, have to go make and myself some homegrown chamomile tea to calm down abit.

Next they will be telling me I can't drink my own rain water...all for my own good of course.

2. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Someone will be able to walk onto my property armed with a gun, order me off my own property and make me a criminal because I will be continuing to grow and share my own food and garden seed as I always have and as my grandparents always did.

The link you posted specifically states that this will not be the case.

3. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    No it doesnt. the wording is now(?)......
    1.15 Food Safety Officers raiding a property can use any equipment they deem necessary... Probably still true but some restraints are envisioned.

and further down....

Food Safety Officers raiding a property can use any equipment they deem necessary
    Details References
    Guns and other weapons not excluded. No limitation on what that equipment could be used for.
    Food Bill section 265 – 1
    A food safety officer may use at a place any equipment the officer has taken into the place if the officer reasonably believes that its use is necessary.”

I may have missed something. Where did you see it state specifically that this will not be the case?

4. mouseinthehouse

1.4 Seed sharing, and food-plant sharing would become illegal
    No longer true

Unless you produce food products for sale, Food Safety Officers will have no need or requirement to enter your property at any time for any reason.

5. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Correct.
    ......food-plant sharing.
    Thats sharing plants that grow food.
    I share food from plants I grow and eggs that my hens lay. When the hives are up and running, I'll be sharing honey as well

With a garden my size? What do you think a food safety officer is going to say?....."All this for one person?, I dont think so, you must be running a commercial enterprise here".

6. mouseinthehouse

You're not a food business, you're not registered as a food business (I assume), you're not selling food items, therefore there will be no justification nor reason to waste their time and money travelling around looking into every backyard vegetable garden. It is not the aim of the Bill as far as I can tell and why would it be. They have bigger fish to fry which is no less unfortunate.

7. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    the trouble with laws on the books that restrict is that they tend to either have mission creep (they get applied further and further from the intent) or they are selectively enforced (someone pisses off a neighbor, they complain to someone in "authority", authority person looks around for something to use against target)... gah! but even living out in the country here has regulations, like they require lots of a certain size or larger and houses of a certain size or larger. you can't build an intentionally small house here.