Looking for someone to remove bee hives(East of Melbourne)

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by Jase, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Jase

Jase Junior Member

We have just purchased a property East of Melbourne, in Cora Lynn(Cardinia Shire), and are tidying it up to lease, there are a couple of bee hives on the property which we need removed before the tenants move in - one is pretty close to the house.

We have been unable to find someone in the area to come and take them away and our only option currently is to have a pest exterminator come in and kill them. We'd rather not have to kill them if possible.

Does anybody have any contacts or know someone that would come and remove them for us before?

2. foggyforge

foggyforge Junior Member

Re: Looking for someone to remove bee hives(East of Melbourne)

Hi,Jase i will do it for you ,Im sending you a privete mesage with my details

3. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

good onya foggyforge - so when do you start selling the honey LOL :lol:

4. barely run

barely run Junior Member

It's a wonder Jase didn't hear my EKKKKKKKKK Kill the Bee's from here Good job foggy we need all the bee's there are........I would have some here but living in a caravan park the public liability would be a bit high.....luckily my sister in law has bees at her place so I get all the pure honey I want.......in the middle of 2000acs........no sprays and no chance of GM contamination.
    cheers
    Cathy

5. foggyforge

foggyforge Junior Member

Unfortunately ,these bees have taken up residence inside walls, not in freestanding hives .My experience does not run to those.Have dealt with swarms before ,but these bees are another proposition.Sadly, i had to pass up this opportunity . :(

6. Jase

Jase Junior Member

Its ok, I contacted a commercial beekeeper/honey producer on the peninsula and he is coming to take them - for a fee. A little more expensive than an exterminator but a much better outcome.

But it looks like there are now 3 x hives! :(

7. ppp

ppp Junior Member

I thought commercial bee producers normally did this sort of thing for nothing!?

8. Jase

Jase Junior Member

The problem appears to be with the location of the hives - once they are in a wall cavity its apparently more hassle then its worth to remove them!?

But just killing them isnt really the easy solution either as you need to remove all the honey and wax etc from inside the wall cavity otherwise other swarms will find it and set-up shop again!

9. ppp

ppp Junior Member

fair enough, glad to hear you found a solution

10. foggyforge

foggyforge Junior Member

So,Jase -have you got rid of your bees?Spoken at the Beekeepers club about you problem ,please call me if you still have the bees.

11. Jase

Jase Junior Member

Hey, yeah a guy came out yesterday and removed them all for me, there were a lot of bees! One of the hives stretched from about 8foot up a wall all the way to the ground! He was getting a bit worried that he was having to dismantle half the building to remove them! He asked me to come and take a look before he kept going and of course me standing there with no suit - him with a suit, guess who copped a load of stings to the head! :oops: :(

If I have any further bee issues I will give you a ring.

12. foggyforge

foggyforge Junior Member

It is great that you are ok. and your bee problem is sorted.

13. georgia

georgia Guest

Hi

Just saw your post and have the same issue re: bees in the wall (from an a/c unit). Was the guy who came out good, would you reccomend him?

Thks

14. foggyforge

foggyforge Junior Member

Hi,georgia -where about are you .I have some contacts now with the -beekeepers club in Warrandyte.
    send me private mail with you details

15. Jase

Jase Junior Member

Hi Georgia - I contacted John from https://www.purepeninsulahoney.com.au/ and he sent out someone to remove them, they were friendly and helpful, the guy that came out was pretty new on the job and one of the hives was very big - I'm not sure he was confident how to proceed with it so checked in a couple of times with his boss. They did give a written guarantee though that if there were still bee's after 7 days they would come back for free. I had to call them back because he didnt get all the bees in the very large hive the first time - the hive actually extended further along the wall which we didnt notice at first.

The second time a different guy came out and I wasnt there - he said he went to remove the rest of the hive but a large snake had taken up residence at the bottom of the wall so he chickened out and simply sprinkled a lot of the insecticide dust around it to hopefully get rid of any remaining bee's! I went back there on the weekend to remove the honey and wax etc that he didnt get because of the snake and discovered that the wall was still full of bee's! So I remove the remaining bee's and hive material myself on saturday.

I have no complaints against pure peninsula honey - they were friendly and helpful, I think my problem just happened to be a extra awkward and difficult one, it also wasnt cheap. I would suggest you try foggyforge and see what he can do for you first and then Pure Peninsula Honey as a last resort - simply due to the $$$.

Hope that helps!

16. Jase

Jase Junior Member

Here is some piccies I took on saturday when removing what was left!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. georgia

georgia Guest

Thanks for that - I really hope mine is not so bad altough I am so paranoid that I can smell honey - probably from too much reading on the net.

18. Jase

Jase Junior Member

Well unfortunately our bees are back :?

They have come back into the same structure but this time a different wall cavity. I can see this is going to be an ongoing problem unless I can find a way to stop them re-infesting the building. It has been suggested that I could fill the wall cavities with expanding foam but the area I need to fill is quite large(ie. $$$) and there are problems doing this in that the structure is very old I've been told the expanding foam is likely to expand the weatherboards right off the building!

At the moment I have no idea how to stop them re-infesting the building and I cant keep paying to have the boards ripped of the building and them removed every couple months!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we could prevent these bees from coming back? We have tenants renting the property and they are holding us responsible for having them removed each time they come back. Its becoming a real problem! :cry:

19. georgia

georgia Guest

I thought as long as you removed the wax there was nothing for them to come back to - as they smell the wax and return. We had ours filled in with the foam and a board covering the part in between the air con where they would come in the space was small but the building is brick and it seems to have worked.

Peninsula bees did this for me and the guy we got was quite good.

20. Jase

Jase Junior Member

Hi Georgia, unfortunately the building they are infesting is a decrepit old weatherboard shed near the house with some horse stables attached. We removed the honey and wax from where they were previously but they have come back to another section of the building different to the last location. I get the feeling that whatever we do to block the old site of the infestation they will come back to another section of the same building :( There are a lot of wall cavities in the building for them to take up residence in and no real way to block access to them all due to the run down nature of the weatherboard building!

We've seriously thought about tearing it down but its attached to some newer horse stables so isnt going to be that easy! I was hoping someone might now of a bee repellent or something we can treat the wall cavities with!? But I dont think there is one. I know I cant afford to be calling out Peninsula Honey every couple of months to get rid of them!?