Looking for someone familiar w/ Google Maps Area Calculator

Discussion in 'General chat' started by purecajn, Jun 2, 2011.

1. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    I recently attempted to use said program to roughly figure the size of my pond. the Calculator claims 6.96 Acres , but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westlake,_Louisiana claims that the city in which I live is only 2.3 sq miles. any ideas as to the conflict?

2. geoff

geoff Junior Member

Hi purecajn,

Do you have a rough idea of the dimensions of your pond to run a sanity check?

6.96 acres is about 28,160 sq. metres, which is a pond 100m wide by 281m long, or some similar combination. The city is 6 sq km which is 6,000,000 sq. metres, so your pond is about 0.4% of the area of the city.

Any discrepancies are most likely due to resolution at the small scale of your pond perhaps? Depending on the scale you're viewing at each pixel represents a fairly large amount of area or length, so one pixel to the left or right could change the size of a dimension by say 10, 20 or 30m. Say it's 30m, then the 100 x 280 measurement, reduced in each dimension by 30m gives you a pond only 4 acres in size.

3. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    Sorry, no rough dimensions as that was what I was after when I went to the google map calculator. look you tell me what you think, go too google maps area calculator and put in Lat 30.256, Long -93.265 and tell me what you come up with. I'm just too unfamiliar with it.

4. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    never mind, no conflict. was late and not thinking clearly

5. Blowin in the wind

Blowin in the wind New Member

Type in "Area Calculation Tool" into google search, and it will give you a better tool than their own tool. Just pick your shape, and type in your rough dimensions, and it will give you the total area.