Looking for site on "Ark" in Africa

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by SueinWA, May 21, 2006.

1. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I'm sure I ran across the site here.

It described some people who are in Africa, and created a simple arrangement for housing and food for people who have neither. The building is half living quarters, and the other half is a greenhouse with (I think) fish in a tank in the greenhouse.

The word ARK is involved (not Ocean Ark).

Can anyone help? I thought I had bookmarked this brilliant idea, but can't find it.

Sue

2. murray

murray Junior Member

3. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

No, that's not it. If there's an actual group involved, it's just a small group of concerned people building these things.

Thinking on it more, I remember that they have composting toilets and collect rainwater from the roof, too.

This is so frustrating! I was certain that I had saved it, but just can't find it.

Sue

4. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Okay, I think I found it... sort of... and it was here that I got the link. A friend of mine had saved the link, but says it doesn't work any more, and I can't get it to work, either. Does anyone know of a way to get to their site?

It's called the Integrated Ark.

Here's the post from Earthbound from last year:

"This guy Paul, and his wife are doing some fantastic work.. https://www.oneseedling.com/

Ok, yeah, he's into aquaponics, but thats not all, spend some time looking around his site at some of the things he's been working on, like the "Ark", and home made windmills, home made pumps, etc..

I just bought his manual on how to make a methane digestor, he produces enough methane to cook 2 meals a day, using mainly recycled bits to build the digestor.... This is real permaculture stuff, pooing into a big plastic drum, collecting the gas, and cooking your food with it, it's a nice cycle... "

Sue

5. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

6. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Junior Member

Sadly lacking in photos which illustrate the building process. Did this get beyond idea stage?

I'm very curious about such projects myself. I've always wondered if you could incorporate a greenhouse/shadehouse into your home's design. Put the greenhouse on the north (sun) side of the house, in the winter it heats up air and circulates the warmed air into the house. In the summer it becomes a shadehouse (depending on how warm your local climate is, I'm assuming frequent 30C+ days) and acts as an airlock to the home. Water troughs along the walls catch condensation, and the water plus the plants and soil moderate the temperature of the greenhouse, and house beyond. Dark brick paving below would absorb a lot of heat during the day and radiate it at night.

Has anyone tried something like this?

7. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I don't know if they progressed further on this Ark or not. It certainly SEEMS like a good idea.

A woman who built a home similar to your idea wrote a book called "Solviva". The author/homebuilder is Anna Edey.

Sue

8. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Junior Member

Ah, thankyou Sue. They have a webpage, https://www.solviva.com/ but be warned the background is fluro-green with red text, you may go blind when you open the page.

The page doesn't have a lot of info, but their talk about their wastewater management and bureaucratic obstacles to it is interesting.

9. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Jim bob,

A friend of mine in Armidale NSW has a detached Master Bedroom with a big window that lets sunlight hit a brickwall/rainwater tank that keeps a large area wonderfully pleasant thru Armidale's bitter winters.

Outside he has a lovely grape arbor/terrace that shades the lot in summer
    and provides the grapes for the table. This bedroom office complex has no heating or cooling. I have been in during winter with frost everywhere and the temp was, at a guess, around 20c - it was minus something outside.

Sorry cant give you more details as he is a private person. The rest of the house & garden showed similar well thought out ideas. He is not a 'permie' but his folks [now retired] are probably amongst australia's oldest active 'greenies'.

floot

10. RobWindt

RobWindt Junior Member