Looking for Golden Seal

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Grahame, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I'm looking to grow some Hydrastis Canadensis or Golden Seal, but I'm not even sure if it exists in Australia.

Anyone know if it is already growing here? If there is any place I can get seeds or plants?

I've had a bit of a search but with not much luck. As with lots of medicinal herbs a web search often gives you pages and pages of 'buy our stuff' pages. But there is not much mention of it at all on Australian pages.

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Maybe it's difficult to propagate - that would make it more expensive.

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

What is your climate?
    It is an American woodland plant that would find few places in Australia where it would be happy.

I am amazed that all-rare-herbs have it-- plants or seed?

What of its very many medicinal qualities do you want if for? (Perhaps there is a more tropic alternative).
    It is a Indian-squaw herb great for facilitating pregnancy.

5. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Cold winters, hot summers.

I thought they could deal with frost (makes sense as Canadian natives) but don't like drought. Prefer shady places. I figured I could have a go in a nice little micro-climate somewhere.

They seem to be selling it as dormant roots, and they are selling the end medicinal product too, so I assume they are growing it in Queensland. I figured if they can do it there I could do it here in Victoria?

Well, I figured it was such an all-rounder of a herb it was one worth having for all of its benefits.

Pebble, I was being facetious ;)

6. Michaelangelica

https://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Hydrastis+canadensis
    That doesn't sound promising, unless you are in the snowy mountains.
    How do all rare herbs grow it? In a cold house?

It is a fantastically useful and potent medicinal herb - so if you do grow it successfully please let me know.

7. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Grahame, I thought you had a good point about making rare plants cheap so everyone can grow them!

Please don't buy processed herb unless you know it comes from a grown source - Golden Seal is endangered in the US because of overharvesting.

I agree with MA, I'm sure you can find a local plant to use instead :)

8. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

All valid points.

Although, I have no idea what hardy to zone 3 means. :think:

I certainly don't buy processed herbs as you said Pebble.

I will start with more local herbs first ;)

9. Michaelangelica

I just came across a book (when i should be doing something else) called Herbal Harvest by greg whiton on growing medicinal herbs
    on goldenseal (endangerd in the wild) It says it needs
    • 80% shade
    • well drained soil
    • 20-30mm water a week
    • intensive weed ciontrol
    • rows should be 600mm apart
    • plants 300 mm apart
    • use 0-1 KgM2 compost a week and
    • says it is a very slow growing difficult crop

10. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

That's a lot of shade!

I'd love to see it growing in it's natural setting.

11. Michaelangelica

12. petal

petal Junior Member

If you are still interested in Golden Seal there is a little grown in colder parts of Victoria and maybe Tasmania. All-Rare-Herbs buy their plants from Tony Hosemans's business:

Golden Seal Herbs and Smudge Sticks
    PO Box 301, Gembrook, VIC 3783
    p: 0416 280 815 or 03 59 6655 65

If you give him a call he will send a price list/order form. Currently Golden Seal plants are $12 for medium plants, and $7 for small plants. He also sells a 30 page handbook he has written: "How to grow Golden Seal and Black Cohosh in Australia", and dried herbs.

He grows Golden Seal and Black Cohosh in shade houses with 70% shade cloth. The golden seal is grown in pots in a potting medium that has a large proportion of composted deciduous leaves, (to match where they grow in N. American woodlands)

I have no connection to Tony, just interested in medicinal herbs, and found this when researching Golden Seal.

13. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Nice one, thanks Petal

14. Michaelangelica

Thanks petal; that explains a lot. I was puzzled by it being grown in Queensland.

It is sad to see people buy plants that won't survive in their climate.
    A while ago i was in Townsville and saw tulips being sold at K-mart. Even in my area they are good only for one season.

I recommend the herb to female members who want to get pregnant.
    It changes the vicosity of vaginal mucous allowing for easier passage of sperm.
    One 'side effect' people often ignore.

15. smudgesticks

smudgesticks New Member

Hi Grahame. I am growing several North American Herbs in Avonsleigh Victoria and have been harvesting a small amount of Golden Seal each year for the past five years. I have been growing since 1996 and am one of the people to grow these herbs in Australia. My harvest consistently sells for an average price of over $500 per kilo each year. Other herbs I am growing are Black Cohosh, Blue Cohosh, Bearberry, Bilberry and the inscence herbs White Sage, American Sagebrush, Sweet Grass and Western Mugwort. If you would like more information on what I am doing you can phone me on 03 59 6655 65.for more information or arrange a visit to the property where I am growing my herbs. I have plants available for sale (at reasonable prices and seed is available at the end of January each year if anyone is interested.
    Regards Tony. Hosemans. Golden Seal Herbs & Smudgesticks

16. smudgesticks

smudgesticks New Member

Golden Seed seed in Australia

I have been growing Golden Seal in Victoria since 1996, and harvesting some plants each year since 2004.
    I average around $550 per kilo with my sales, so even though it is a long term crop (5-6 years) the value of the end result makes it very much worthwhile. I have plants for sale it their dormancy , May-August,
    and some seed available, normaly around the end of January. My ambition for many years has been to promote the growing of golden seal and other North American herbs in Australia, creating new industries, as many are endangered species and command hefty prices.
    Should anybody require further details I can be contacted on 03 59 6655 65 or by email
    [email protected]

Regards Tony.

17. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Great stuff Tony. Good to hear you have all those things growing well, it gives me more incentive to try. I would like to check your place out some time. For the moment I have put Golden Seal in the too-hard-basket, mainly because I have so much else to do. I've promised myself to concentrate on 'finishing' a few key projects this year before I start more. But an extensive medicinal garden is on the list for future development.

18. smudgesticks

smudgesticks New Member

Hi Grahame. I am happy for you to visit when you are ready or anybody else who is interested. For your information some of the other herbs that I grow include, Black Cohosh, Blue Cohosh, Bearberry, Bilberry, and the Incense herbs White Sage, American Sagebrush, Dakota Sage and Sweet Grass. Allow yourself a few hours when/if you visit, as there is a lot to absorb.
    Regards Tony.