Logan Strawbale Open House - Anyone Going ?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by derekh, Mar 17, 2006.

1. derekh

derekh Junior Member

Some time ago there was a thread concerning a Strawbale House in Logan Village for sale. This weekend (March 19) it is open for inspection ($5 admission fee). I was wondering if anyone else is planning to go. I'll be there from about 10:00.

https://www.newtonhouse.info/forsale.htm

cheers
    derek

2. derekh

derekh Junior Member

I enjoyed spending 2 hours on Sunday looking through the house and surrounds.

The property had good examples of mulched swales supporting young trees and other bushes. Companions planting, banana circles, drip irrigation, etc were all evident.

The house was simple but effective. Minimal clutter. Noticeably cooler than outside even with all the doors and windows open. My wife even liked the composting toilet made from a tree stump (dressed and polished to remove splinters). Strawbale building techniques are not an exact science but it does add to the character.

I response to stacm's thoughts on a sustainable workforce, at an asking price in excess of $500,000 who could afford such a property without working in an occupation that isn't connected to the "dark side".

derek