Locked threads

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by eco4560, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I have locked both of the recent threads in response to a number of complaints about on line behaviour.

Please everyone take a deep breathe, turn around twice, sit down again, and think of a positive outlet for all that fabulous energy.

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

you agree i am disrespectful then?

seems like freedom of opinion and speech may be under threat.

been here a very long time, disagree with some agree with others but always been mindful, never ever called anyone a troll does that fit the respect parameter?

oh! never treated grammar or spelling as a prerequisite to chatting on a world wide web

anyhow take care

len

3. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I apologise for any disrespect I showed.

4. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

gardenlen,
    let us agree to disagree on some things then ?
    I have read some of your responses to other threads here and have been in agreement so we are not entirely at polar opposites. After all, we are all here due to our interest in permaculture, right? :)

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Eco, it's great that someone steps into this situation, but unless you point out which is the errant behaviour, we can't change.

I'd also like a clear indication about whether the moderators are going to take earlier action on off-topic climate change posts that have nothing to do with the thread they are posted in. It's been going on alot lately, and it's making the place poorer. It will be putting people off too.

My proposal is that for a period of time at least, climate change debates are kept to their own threads.

Separate to that, and this may get me into trouble, but on a permaculture forum is it really acceptable to have someone posting multiple anti-science posts across various threads? I'm all for critiquing science, and would encourage such debate where it is meaningful, but that's not what's been going on.

In other words, someone needs to tell Len to pull his head in before this gets out of hand. Sorry for being so blunt, life is too short at the moment (and so am I).

btw, I can see why the vaccination and ethics thread has been locked. But can you please explain why the spirituality one was? Apart from Grahame's out of character single rude post, I can't see the problem (and Grahame would I'm sure have made amends).

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Unfortunately they let any idiot have an opinion on the Web and the worse kind is the ignorant and the arrogant with too much time on their hands.

I come to permaculture site to have interesting intelligent conversation, if I wanted to listen to GW deniers, CO2 tax haters,pro coal,pro monsanto, anti science lobby,anti green zone fishing bans, I would go to a Barnaby Joyce meeting.
    The real world is stuffed because of people like that,there is plenty of scope to express that rubbish where ever you want, I dont really need to hear that brainless unsubstantiated shit in here.

If you go through all your posts on the subject you have not presented any evidence ,when you get asked to ,you just start rambling off about free speech, being judged on merits, overseas aid, your medical condition,the survey of your neighbours/friends who agree with you,that coal is cheap and we should keep things cheap,the emperors new clothes, anti renewable energy, anti scientists,anti facts and green yuppy tree huggers who just want to increase your cost of living,and NWO who is out to make the poor poorer.
    Your opinions are considered facts by you and only you .

None of this is either coherent, a real answer to any of your unsubstantiated theories and and yet you persist like a troll
    I find it disruptive, unproductive and disrespectful to the intelligence of most of the people on this forum.
    Len you are probably a good gardener and a nice bloke, but you have no idea of how to debate any issue that requires some logic.
    Yet you are a dog with a bone and that is disrespectful to virtually every thread you enter and hijack with your trolling.
    Maybe stick to gardening advice and keep your illogical political thoughts for all your mates who agree with you and dont require actual facts,in real life and give most us a rest from the brain dead ranting.

you signature sums it up quite well
    "Be Content With What You Have And
    May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
    A World That You May Not Understand."

With apologies and kind thoughts go in peace.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Complaints about both posts have been PM'ed to the moderators. To explore who said what about what posts would be disrespectful to those who asked privately for action to be taken.

I haven't banned anyone, or deleted or edited anyone's posts (and would never). I've just locked them to draw your attention to the fact that some of you are upsetting some of the others. I leave it up to you as ethical contributors to the online community here to decide how you as an individual contribute to any ongoing discussions.

8. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Sorry zvall, I was only having a joke really. I didn't mean any harm, but I can see how it came out worse than intended.

Having said that, I do get a bit nervous when people start 'discussing' Jesus as there are some pretty strongly held views out there.

Again my apologies

9. zvall

zvall Junior Member

I wasn't offended and to add insult to injury--regarding the untoward moderation. After just composing a long detailed post and posting it the whole post has been lost due to the inadequacy of this forum's software!

10. zvall

zvall Junior Member

hmmm well that posted so i will TRY again. Only this time I will save my post to notepad just in case!
    I am upset, and sad for permaculture forums Australia that they have decided to just lock a thread without any consultation with the supposed 'injured party' or a 'warning' to the supposed antagonist--though I did not expect anyone to get warned.

I made it dead clear at the beginning of my thread, about such a complex subject as 'spirituality' that I would love there to be FREEDOM for us to explore. Yet as soon as some one just says something that is considered 'untoward' and I called a 'put-down' boom ALL diversity of expression is crushed with censorship. That to me is more mono-culture than perma-culture, if we compare the fascist treatment of the land and waters and biosphere like we do the relationship to other humans (who are equal with you moderator) and their ideas.
    I was looking foreward to seducing you into more in-depth debate graham, and suspected that your comment may have been to do with my critique of the Christian faith. And I just wish that people who (volunteered?) to moderate forums would actually love allowing interchange between people, even the rough bits, rather than being lock-happy. In permaculture there is a wise saying 'the problems are the solutions'--in otherwords you dont spray everything with pesticide if you come against what monoculturalists think are problems---for that is how we learn the deeper complexities of reality.
    So. What now. How can we explore spirituality now if there is FEAR of exploring it by an authority? Any ideas?

11. frosty

frosty Junior Member

I have been on this forum for many years as has Len and I agree in the past he has made some excellent contributions .......... but I like probably everyone on both this forum and ALS are getting sick of hearing the same ole same ole ............ it is killing ALS and will do so here as well if something isnt done .......... free speech is one thing but continual disruptions like a broken record just drive people away ........... len if you care about these forums please take a little holiday from your computer and go out and do some gardening to calm down

12. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Nevertheless, I have no idea which exactly was the problem with the spirituality thread. I can't see any behaviour that warranted moderation, let alone a lock down, so unless it's pointed out the problem will just recur. I'm struggling alot to see the point of the lock down. Obviously you as moderator agreed with the complainant/s that there was a serious problem with the spirituality thread, but you're not going to tell us what it is. That sucks and to be honest I am very surprised to see this form of moderation on this forum.

Are we then free to start another thread on spirituality? I assume so.

13. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Worse, if the problem on the spirituality thread wasn't behaviour, then was it instead content? That's the impression I've been left with.

:-(

14. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

I think it a pitty that threads are locked. I believe they should rather be kept on track.Len has a right to his point of view as much as anyone .I can see where he is coming from and try to understand his GW perspective though i don't agree with it.Yes he has become monotonous and intrenched in his attitude to GW and a little disrespectfull of those who dont agree with him ( ie worshippers) but I just see him as playing the devils advocate and that gives us worshippers a chance to understand the wider issues that would otherwise go unadressed.Len is representing a popular belief that reflects in his attitude toward this issue.There is a lot of money around that agrees with him and to a large extent he will probably be proven right as money buys belief and belief becomes the issue regardless of the truth whatever that is.Len the carbon reduction scheme is probably a scam but it is a scam we have to have to get closer to the truth.

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The feedback on the spirituality thread was that certain posters (more than one) were being rude to others (more than one). We don't all have the same definitions of what constitutes bad behaviour, and not all members here feel that they are able to publicly ask that their views are respected when they are upset by something. Particularly not when there is so much push and shove going on.

You are of course free to start another thread but I ask that we all behave with due consideration to the feelings of others. I don't believe that my locking the thread constitutes censorship. Everything that you have all said remains free for all to read completely unaltered. I sought to draw your attention to your behaviours on the forum, which given the prompt response to my actions has been effective.

16. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Thanks eco, it's good to know it's behaviour and not content. I'm still completely at a loss though as to what the actual problem behaviour is/was, and in the absence of an explanation I'll just have to ignore the moderation. Sorry. I can understand why you don't want to be explicit, but I can't mind read.

:)

Permasculptor, I don't have a problem with Len holding the views he does. I do have a problem with how he relates in this forum now, esp continually bringing up issues of GW or whatever when it's offtopic. It disrupts threads and make the place unpleasant to be in.

17. gardenlen

thanks permaculture,

hope the scam is revealed before too many suffer too much.

just in case you missed it i have asked for evidence hard evidence, i have asked how long this fix will take, i have asked how much it will cost in total, i have never been given any answers nothing but run around.

humanity seems to have gone out the window along with common sense.

len

18. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Do we need to have a separate forum where people can just let rip?
    I did see something like that on a now defunk site...they called it the thunderdome....a good Aussie name if you ask me.
    Sometime we need this.
    That way, if you dont want to be upset...dont go there.

19. annette

annette Junior Member

I know it must be hard to be a moderator in these circumstances. My wish is that all could read posts and not be judgemental but practice discernment. I remember a story from an old native american spiritual leader. His name is David. His story is long but I shall edit for the purposes of this forum. Germans could not interpret navaho language and so david went undercover in ww2. He was caught and sent to a concentration camp. There he endured torments beyond belief. A german soldier forced maggots into his mouth. He was beaten and tortured. After the war David returned to the USA to a veterans home. He was destroyed as a person. His elders threw him into a river with a rope around his waist and told him to retrieve his spirit. In this ordeal things were revealed to him. The german soldier that shoved maggots into his mouth, came to him and explained. It was the only way I could keep you alive by forcing protein into your body. Anything else and I would have been killed for aiding an enemy. Lesson: sometimes we judge and we may be wrong.

What I am saying is that sometimes we don't know why people do the things they do or say. You never know what is going on. Do not take things personally. Sometimes meanings are hidden and are only revealed at a later stage. What someone says may only make sense years down the track. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and passion. Nobody can be so sure they are absolutely 100% correct in all things. Be guided by intention. Let's as permaculturists be open minded and diserning in what we take on board and what we dismiss. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Live and let live. Be kind to each other. If we don't, what chance does the rest of the world have?

Personally I appreciate ALL opinions here and thank all for their contributions. i take what I like and leave the rest, but respect all aspects of thoughts on issues.

Cheers
    Annette

20. gardenlen

annette and mischief,

dunno for me a dummy spit site will take away from the real down to earth things, the thing is and it can be hard if one gets a bit fiery in a medium where you neither really know the other person or can read their body language is "never judge the written word" and never judge someone you don't know.

with what has occurred i wondered about this 3rd ethic of permaculture where does it come into play. i live by ethics that form my lifestyle.

take care for now

len

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.