Living the Good Life on Australia's Sunshine Coast

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by Michaelangelica, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Living the Good Life on Australia's Sunshine Coast
    Heirloom livestock integrated with tropical perennials helps couple toward self-sufficiency.

By Kyle Holzhueter

Fekonia chose a sun-facing slope on Australia’s Sunshine Coast to build his innovative dream home of practical yet flexible concrete.

Posted August 3, 2004: Frank and Elisabeth Fekonia dreamed of living “the good life” suited to a particular place. Like American homesteading pioneers Scott and Helen Nearing, the Fekonias envisioned building their own home and living off the land in a dry region of Australia’s central eastern coast.

Their inspiration came from Frank’s peasant upbringing in a small Slovenian farming village. . . .
    [​IMG]
    Everything you see here, we did. The construction, the wiring, the plumbing -- everything.” Doing everything themselves has allowed them to build their home for little over $30,000 Australian (about $21,100 US). He has returned discarded washing machines to like-new condition, and keeps old cars running for years. [/quote]
    https://www.rodaleinstitute.org/+living_ ... hine_coast

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Re: Living the Good Life on Australia's Sunshine Coast

I've met Elisabeth - she ran a seed savers workshop I attended recently. Nice person, knows her permaculture, and managed to enthuse my 11 year into a fever pitch about saving seed....