Little permaculture place in Taiwan

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by guycalledfrank, Aug 8, 2016.

1. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank New Member

Climate:
    Subtropical to tropical
    Quick introduction before I can post tons of questions :)

My wife (taiwanese) & me (german) live next to the ocean and we have a little piece of land. We are mid thirties want to apply permaculture principles. The climate here is subtropical to tropical.

As a permaculture newbie I am looking forward to learn...and share our experiences. I am happy for any kind of contact...

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Greetings Frank and welcome,
    I would like to live next to an ocean, for some reason salt water "edges" are my favorite. Do you live on the east side of the island?
    Are you beginning the planning/design process or are you already moving forward? What's your next step? (Photos of your property would be great!)

3. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank New Member

Climate:
    Subtropical to tropical
    Hi Gandalf,

thank you for your interest and yes, we live on the east side of Taiwan and we are just doing our first steps. There are tons of things we want to do on our land but so far we have still been occupied with the house renovation and preparation of our (b&b-) business.

We made a perma design plan with plant plan, etc. but we hardly started planting. Best time for planting most plants is autumn. Therefor we just planted some veggies in a quickly done raised bed and so far I focus on things like a pavement to the front door or how to store some wood properly.

If you want to take a look at some fotos: we started a facebook page with the name "Little One next to the Ocean"...

Regards
    Frank

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  5. Christopher Brady

Christopher Brady New Member

Climate:
    sub tropical
    Hi Frank,
    I'm a US expat living in Hsinchu County. We share a few things in common like wife's nationality, permaculture, and living in Taiwan.
    What are you doing for composting?
    I just have a big pile behind some bananas and turn the soil from time to time. I'd like to build a container that is rodent free so snakes and pests aren't attracted. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
    (Sorry I haven't accessed your FB page. I won't use it because of privacy issues.)