limping drake

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by sun burn, Sep 21, 2012.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Hi, I just thought i'd duck in here (pardon the pun) and see if you guys had any ideas. I"ve been to the vet already but i'm not sure that what we're doing is going to achieve anything.

My drake has a limp. The vet said his feet were good. She noticed no infection or calluses. She clipped his very long toenails and gave me some antiflammatories. I gave him the drops this morning but tonight i noticed he is still limping exactly the same so its as if they provided no relief whatsoever.

She's suggested going back if this doesn't work for some antibiotics but i am not inclined to do that. Its just a stab in the dark.

My boy is about 3 years old now i guess. I can't remember exactly.

Have you got any ideas. Should i keep him locked up near home for a while to enforce less walking about. I suppose that wouldn't hurt.

2. hardworkinghippy

hardworkinghippy Junior Member

Hi Sun burn,

I guess he's limping because it hurts - probably sprained his foot on a stone or something.

His limping will help protect the damaged foot. You've seen the vet, so there's much not else to do except let nature take it's course and hope that he's not suffering too much and that his foot will heal properly.

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

See if he will eat some comfrey
    The vet is clueless as to cause?