Licorice roots wanted, and yams!

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Tropicana, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Tropicana

Tropicana Junior Member

Hi everyone,

the vegie garden is starting to take shape and we're really happy with what we've done so far, (if a little late in the season : :razz: )

What I would really, really like right now is a source of fresh licorice root, so that I can start growing that healthy and delicious herb. Can anyone help?

Also, I am an absolute beginner when it comes to yams! (haven't even tasted one! :oops: )We have the kumara in the no-dig now, as well as some ginger, but I am finding really hard to even spot a yam anywhere (hubby saw one lot in the local Woolies :cry: ' but it looked a bit old'). I read an article in the Grassroots mag about them once, but there were no names attached; it was an article by lady on the Sunshine Coast for the community permaculture gardens there. That was really the only mention of where to get them. (The yams) If anyone is growing yams or knows more about where to get hold of some for us to try and then plant, I would be most grateful.

Happy autumn gardening all!

Tropicana

2. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

3. Tropicana

Tropicana Junior Member

Re: Licorice roots wanted, and yams!

Thanks permasculptor!

I had followed links to her other web-site, which offers info on hers, etc. Due to some law or other, I guess she wasn't allowed to advertise this other web-site, which I think is a little weird, :? but there you go! So now I know that she does actually sell the herbs and so on as well as give out the gen, great stuff!

Thanks again,

Tropicana

4. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Tropicana, I highly recommend boiling cut up yams in chicken broth, then puree-ing into soup. It's thick and wonderful, and you can add seasonings like lemon pepper, garam masala, curry, a little sugar, and even toss in some rice.

What are you going to do with the licorice roots?

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Re: Licorice roots wanted, and yams! licorice

Liquorice is considered the #2 medical herb in TCM after Ginseng.
    they are often combined together as Ginseng has a synergistic effect on many herbs (Try taking a goodly dose with caffeine if you want to stay up all night!)
    My Liquorice never did well and always struggled but there are many varieties, a few varieties that may do better in warmer climates. I'm not sure, ask Isabel.
    I purchased some dried roots about as thin as a 1/2 a pencil some years ago and used to chew and suck on them all day. Strangely it is not a flavour beloved by all.
    I cured one guy's stomach ulcer with it.
    https://perfectdir.org/search.php?q=Lico ... e%20ulcers
    https://www.naturalnews.com/024440.html

This article is a good summary of Licorice uses.
    TCM is not about taking things when you are sick, but taking herbs to keep you well.
    the whole thrust of their medication/medical system is longevity.
    Given the number of Chinese on the planet, they have to be doing something right.
    The combination liquorice/Ginseng is great for the circulatory system & heart. But take it easy if you have high untreated BP.
    Last month a purchased some cut roots they were sliced on a slant and the root must have been at least 5cm diameter! They were very disappointing, hardly any flavour or sweetness.
    They looked a bit like this.
    [​IMG]
    I would love to be able to somehow test to see if what I purchased was liquorice or something just sprinkled with a little synthetic anise oil.

Some confectioners still use Liquorice Plant in the sweet/ lolly/candy. But most use synthetic or natural aniseed oil which is much cheaper.

6. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Interesting about the licorice, and I love black licorice. I might try some of that. Anise volunteers where I am, so it might do well here.