Len, a scientific calculation for you!!

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by ho-hum, Apr 25, 2009.

1. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

Re: Len, a scientific calculation for you!!

g'day ho-hum,

too much for me mate!!

there is no bottom line mentioned so it is all so much using of words and not saying a lot. he could say that 7 litres of pee a day delivers X grams of nitrogen and would do Y amount of tree or garden feeding, now that would be a bottom line most if not all could understand, a the end of the day i can't say that he supports the use or doesn't support the use of, it almost seems he is looking for excuses not to use it.

i feel i don't produce enough, though i can with health issues produce between 1/3 a standard 20lt bucket to 3/4 in any given day, so i can spread it around i mix it with dish pre-rinse water that contains particles of food etc.

also to me again science has befuddled through boggling the readers mind. and of course with science they rarely perform their evaluations which leads to what they call an "educated guess" without someone paying to have the research carried out.

my bottom line my gardens thrive, and i don't waste good drinking water flushing good waste water.

but many thanks all the same.

len

3. ppp

ppp Junior Member

this guy has managed to complicate something that is really quite simple, mostly because he is unable to use metric figures:
    (sorry anyone who's a bit older, my parents and grandparents included, but seriously america's refusal to adopt metric shows their stupidity in my book)

using his figures.. he says each pee gives around 5 grams of nitrogen, and plants need from 2 to 10 grams of nitrogen per square metre per year.

So if you pace out a plant's canopy, for every 1m x 1m, give hungry things two pees per year, or less hungry things about half of a pee per year.

I hope this is easier.
    PPP

I have copied his info below which this is based on... (I haven't checked it)

# Very demanding: require 10 grams nitrogen per square meter of canopy per year. Chestnuts, Citrus sp, Plums, Walnuts, & blackberries
    # Demanding: require 6 grams nitrogen per square meter of canopy per year. Apples, Apricots, Bamboos, Filberts, Hazelnuts, Medlars, Mulberries, Peaches, Pears, Persimmons, Quinces, Blackcurrants, Gooseberries.
    # Slightly demanding: require 2 grams nitrogen per square meter of canopy per year. Cherries, serviceberries, Cornus sp, Elderberries, Yellowhorn, Raspberries, and many others
    # Ground covers: 1 gram nitrogen per square meter of canopy per year. Doesn't specify whether ground covers actively harvested for leaves or fruit would need extra nitrogen or whether the figure already takes that into account.

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

thanks ppp,

that's a good bottom line, now of course he would have befuddled himself further if he added some variables ie., we add ours to pre-rinse dish water (no detergent in it) , as for some adopting metric they say that using gypsum is a total waste of time in the majority of gardens, honestly i got no idea where this stuff comes from over there?? just like those of note over here sayng mulching is detramental to the garden.

ta

len