Legality of Permaculture Internships Questionable under NSW Law

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Earthchild, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Earthchild

Earthchild New Member

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Have you been here before under a different name Earthchild? The cut of your jib seems familiar.

3. Earthchild

Earthchild New Member

Hi Grahame,

The "cut of your jib" is only asking a question. It IS a free world last time i checked. Have you an issue with my jib? Does it cut you?

4. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    I'm a bit curious here, but isn't the employment being refered to in said guidlines directed toward businesses whom are using said labor to turn a profit? If the labor being offered in exchange is only used for non-profit purposes (feeding the group/learning/site upkeep) then said labor does not fall into said guidelines. On the other hand, if your being on a farm where your labor is in turn being used by the farmer to make a profit then said farm should be liable for reimbursment. (ex Hersey Kisses was recently brought up on charges for manuplating the Student Exchange Program in which student were overly worked)
    Lets face it, a few hours of work in exchange for said education is just employment without taxes. So unless your being mistreated (overworked) be happy the opportunity is available.
    Ok, shooting from the hip here so please make me aware of any legal misquotes.

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

6. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Dear Earthchild (such an innocuous screen name)

You are quite funny. Look around you with some insight and then tell me again that it's a "free world".

I'm going to say that you've arrived at our forum and showed a remarkable single-mindedness (read agenda) with your posts. I'll give you fair warning, we are about discussing Permaculture topics across the board, but we are not about allowing any single user to exclusively post to promote their own agenda.

Many members here have personal belief systems that come out during normal Permaculture discussion and discourse. It is to be expected and is rather welcome in that our individual-ness and the diversity of our membership flourishes.

But promoting an agenda is another thing ... it all boils down to a matter of intent. If one's intent is to be an integral member of the forums and discuss (which is a two-way dialogue) Permaculture related ideas, all is good. But when single members post exclusively to agitate and push their own ideas onto other free thinking folks, than all is not good, because the intent is to "convince" others of the "validity" of your position. These forums are not a pulpit for intentional agitation to further one's agenda.

AND, before anyone cries "free speech", please get real. This is a privately owned forum with a stated theme (and some stated "not-themes" too). In much the same way you'd object if I was to install my political signs in your front yard, we object to those who post obvious messages that don't fit into the themes of the forum discussions. If you truly wanted "free speech" for all, this place would be overrun with spam.

Hopefully, I've made my point, Earthchild.

Bill

7. Nick Ritar

Nick Ritar Junior Member

8. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

How come you took that negative?

Also, have you been here before under a different name?

9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I got an issue with your jib. Who the hell does the stitching? I've been looking for sails like this one! :lol:

10. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

11. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Looks like Nick has given an excellent answer to the original question, in his link in post #7 :) Any further on topic discussion?

12. barefootrim

barefootrim Junior Member

This post was erronously inserted in the wrong section on MILKWOODS internship post, my apologies to the good work happening in all things Milkwood,,,and the post is in the right section here.

I reckon internships are a very good way to go to learn some finer details. As the PDC is a quick whizbang whirlwind, and an internship allows you time to soak in a learning experience.

Personally I would not do one, only because I have had extensive farm experience before and I'm not an ex-computer worker from the city learning the front end of a cow from the back ,,, I already know. I can also drive a tractor, turn on a pump, check the oil, and shoe a horse for that matter. I'm not being silly or mean here,,,as when I travelled through the world It surprised me to see how "useless" ( for want of a better term) some folk where in practical , basic tasks , due to their urban upbringing.

My good mate took over from me on a farm I was gardener on,,,,100 acres,,,, the first thing he did was build a herb spiral,, there was on-going maintenance required on the other 99.9999995 acres first,,,,,,the boss was not happy,,and this guy needed an internship to get him in tune with farm priorities. He learnt the harder way.

So I see both sides of this story (eg earthchilds case and Nick's case) ,,,Milkwood internship or the Mulloon internships look to be the best ones going from what I can tell,,

,earthchilds case is seen very much in the wwoofer circles where wwooffers are abused for the most part and not many farms are in the true spirit of the wwoof thing,,,, (eg sitting on a production line bottling plant as a wwoofer for 9 hours---- isn't that a paid job ??? as I experienced on a southern england winery offering wwoofer spots ??? I moved on after a few hours. )

Additionally there is an established permaculture farm in northern nsw that charges volunteers to work there,,,, !!!! ummmm whatever they want really but sort of abusive and very stingey and suffering from deep instrinsic permaculture specialness dont you reckon ?? "volunteers wanted-pay to be here" aren't they already doing you a favour?

some folk say the idea is to teach enthusiasm in a pdc,,,but as an internee,,, you have demonstrated the willingness going past the enthusiasm ideal and an internship is suppossed to be skills based learning.

I give the best of luck to those offering and completing well rounded internships that teach a neutral permaculture / farming experience that gives skills as oppossed to ideals and an enthusiasm inspired teaching experience.

Its a fine line between abusive host farms,,, and well rounded internships with integrity,,, both are available.