leftover for chicken?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by hedwig, Jul 4, 2007.

1. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

I read that chicken should not eat salt. But we always feed them our leftoveres (childrens plates). But I read as well (both in backyard poultry naturally) that garlic and most of the hot spices we use is good for chickens and these are in the leftovers as well.
    Do yu give your leftovers the chooks or in the compost??

2. bill

bill Junior Member

Always have fed chooks leftovers with no thought as to if it was good for them. I never have had problems.

3. Tas'

Tas' Junior Member

I think most non-commercial chicken keepers would feed them table scraps, wouldn't they?

I found this piece that says some salt is necessary but not too much:

https://www.saltinstitute.org/47j.html

And then a lot would depend on the type of salt. There's a big difference (for us and I assume any other creature) in whether you use regular refined table/cooking salt or a good unrefined salt. Here is a piece from the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon about the differences (written for human nutrition, of course):

Most discussions of salt ignore the issue of salt processing. Few people realize that our salt—like our sugar, flour and vegetable oils—is highly refined; it is the product of a chemical and hightemperature industrial process that removes all the valuable magnesium salts as well as trace minerals naturally occurring in the sea. To keep salt dry, salt refiners adulterate this "pure" product with several harmful additives, including aluminum compounds. To replace the natural iodine salts that are removed during processing, potassium iodide is added in amounts that can be toxic. To stabilize the volatile iodide compound, processors add dextrose which turns the iodized salt a purplish color. A bleaching agent is then necessary to restore whiteness to the salt.

Sun dried sea salt contains traces of marine life that provide organic forms of iodine. Some researchers claim that this form of iodine remains in the bodily fluids for many weeks, whereas the iodine released from iodide salts passes through very quickly.146 This may be why the late physician Henry Bieler found evidence of sodium starvation in the tissues of people who consumed large amounts of refined salt.147

Even most so-called sea salt is produced by industrial methods. The best and most healthpromoting salt is extracted by the action of the sun on seawater in clay-lined vats. Its light grey color indicates a high moisture and trace mineral content. This natural salt contains only about 82 percent sodium chloride; it contains about 14 percent macro-minerals, particularly magnesium, and nearly 80 trace minerals. The best and purest commercially available source of unrefined sea salt is the natural salt marshes of Brittany, where it is "farmed" according to ancient methods. (See Sources.)
    Red sea salt from Hawaii is also an excellent product, but it is not readily available in the continental US. Unrefined salt mined from ancient seabeds contains many trace minerals and is theoretically acceptable as long as it comes from areas where nuclear testing has not occurred nor where nuclear wastes are stored. However, it will lack organic iodine from the minute bits of plant life that are preserved in moist Celtic sea salt.

4. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hedwig,

Leftovers is great for chooks and an excellent way of turning scraps into great fertiliser.

floot

5. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

Interesting with the salt are salts in the organic store OK?
    So I go on feeding them leftovers.

6. Jackie K

Jackie K Junior Member

Hi Tas, thanks for the salt info, frightening. I'm out to find a source of as natural as I can find
    Jackie K