Learning Permaculture

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by angelspirit, Jun 5, 2006.

1. angelspirit

angelspirit New Member

:angel7: I would like to learn Permaculture, and was wondering the best place to start. What do you suggest? I have been doing a lot of gardening lately and I want to do it all naturally and help the environment.
    What is the best and cheapest way to start a compost? Can I just put my veggie scraps, plant cuttings and weeds on the garden? What is the best mulch to use, and how do I make it? I know these might seem like dumb questions. I live on a suburban block, in Werribee, south west Melbourne. Are there courses near here? :angel11:

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Angie :)

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

There are some great books available that will help you to learn more about permaculture. Try looking for some at your local library.

Many of the threads right here at the PRI Forum will give you much information about things such as composting and mulching. Do a simple search and see what comes up.

Join a permaculture group. Once again, check out the threads here, or do a search on the WWW. Permaculture Melbourne may be your closest contact. At least they will be able to tell you of any groups happening around Werribee.

Cheerio, and happy travels,

Mark.

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Angie,

Welcome to the forum.

Your local library will have some books on permaculture and better still may well have copies of 2 permaculture videos. From memory one is called 'GLOBAL GARDENER' and the other is 'IN GRAVE DANGER OF FALLING FOOD'.

Your local council will have a list of community interest groups and may well have a permaculture contact listed.

Here's my suggestion for a quick start.

If you get hold of an air-freight agent they often have those white plastic sacks which they will give you. You can collect great mulch/compost starter from horse paddocks [and mushrooms too!!]. You can either leave it in the bags in the sun for a week or so and let heat kill the weed seeds or put it on your compost heap.

Stable waste is excellent, especially if it is aged as it includes both nitrogen [pee'n'pooh'] as well as carbon [straw]. Normally mixed in good quantities and invariably free for the asking.

If you go to the top of the forum and click on 'search' put in a word like 'compost' or 'chook' you will get all sorts of threads up that you can read through.

Welcome & cheers,

floot