Learning about Permaculture

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by TrevNorman, Mar 2, 2012.

1. TrevNorman

TrevNorman Junior Member

I have started to make a record of what we are planning to do at our house. It will be lots of planning and only a little slow action. I should have called my blog "watching grass grow".

But at least it's a start.

Would love your visitation and comments (I am new to Tumblr and I am using a 3rd party HTML code to receive comments. I hope it works)

https://permalearner.tumblr.com/

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Lots of planning and only a little action shows you are on the right path. Geoff Lawton say 100 hours of thinking and 1 hour of work, rather than 100 hours of mindless work and 1 hour of thinking.

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Agreed, if I ever had a motto it would be, "Work smarter, not harder." My property was left "fallow" the entire first year (and most of the 2nd) on purpose.

4. TrevNorman

TrevNorman Junior Member

Had a few hours to kill so prepared a hugelkultur bed. Never done this before so I have no idea if it will work. I did my research and think I have followed the steps roughly enough.

Changed my mind about Tumblr, I am now keeping photos at photoblog. I will post just one photo here though, there are a few more at the photoblog.

[​IMG]

https://www.photoblog.com/permalearner

5. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

I was just about to say that the Tumblr looked like an interesting way to blog, single large pictures with a description.

Where are you located? I see some Eucs, and some Casuarinas, and they look planted.

Hugelkultur looks good, but that looks like a crap load of effort for such a small bed. Based on your other photos, I don't think your ground is wanting moisture, is that a Citrus next to the chicken shed? That thing looks massive and healthy.

So what's the go with the food forest? You talk about swaling which is fair enough, but if you are planting fixers, my idea would be to solarise or chook dome random spots immediately and start planting fixers and pioneers. The secret to a good food forest is canopy cover, the sun is not allowed to hit the soil. Even if your plan changes, you can cut down any of these plants and use them elsewhere. Think large Fabaceae, even if they aren't inoculated, think your local fixers which look like they will be Casuarina and Acacia, think different locals like whatever occurs there. For example, Black Bean/Castanospermum australe is a SE coast fixer that brings in large amounts of birds and bats. Tipuana, Albizia, Poinciana, Cassia, Leucena are some exotic fixers you can get started, and should be seeding at the moment. Depends where you are, I'm talking subtropical and your photos remind me of a subtropical location.

Other than that, perhaps your design should get most of it closer to the house, if North is up on your last post on Tumblr, you have some decent spots east and west of your house for a Zone 1 herb garden/veggie garden or is the house off-limits? Is the shape of that pic your block? Are you planning larger animals or are you turning over the other spots to timber and wildlife? Your Food forest could be directly south of your chook pen, which would protect your mandala from southerlies and allow the chickens simple access to forage in there.

Edit: And I just re-read and saw the Hunter Valley. Answered my own question. Disregard planting suggestions, other than what works in your location. You are classed as Temperate but wiki says actually subtropical with a bit of frost?

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You look younger than I though Trev ;)

Was the hole there already or do you dig it? I don't like digging - other than to put a plant in the ground. If you want to come to my place sometime and dig holes let me know!

7. TrevNorman

TrevNorman Junior Member

Yes Tumblr is nice for some pictures but it seemed to take time to get them loaded and then to comment on them etc. Photoblog seems to be an easier no-fuss way.

Yes, plenty of water. The Hugel was a bored Saturday project,I had a pile of logs and branches that I had to do something with and it was also a way to spend time with 2 of the boys doing dirty stuff! Citrus next to shed belongs to neighbour, but they like to share so that is great.

Since the Tumblr plan I have already changed my mind. I will be building a chook dome soon and will start to get the chooks working for me. What does "solarise" mean (same as chook dome??). Sadly my development consists of 1-3 hours every weekend so not a lot of time given to it.
    My priorities would be:
    - Mandala gardens
    - Herb garden near house
    - Food forest

Close to the house is kind of off limits. I have the back yard to play with my Permaculture! The image is actually West straight up but thank you for the advice regarding the Food Forest and Mandala working together. I am thinking that the Mandala might be better East of the chooks (straight down on image) and then the food forest directly South for the reasons you mentioned.
    I am really grateful that we have this land, just don't know what to do with it yet (and time/money is a factor as well)

Eco, we dug the hole. It was work but it was fun hanging out with the boys. Where do you live? I will give you 2 hours of digging if you give me 1 hour of site advice!

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Solarise means put down black plastic and cook the daylights out of the plants (and soil and worms....) Go the chook tractor and give your dirt a chance!

I'm in SE Qld (were it seems to rain perpetually....) so unfortunately you are unlikely to turn up with the boys and a few shovels any time soon.

9. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Come on, I think the worms are smarter than that.