Leaking rainwater tank

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Mark31, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Mark31

Mark31 Junior Member

Hello everybody

I have a galvanised steel tank with a slow leak in it.

After draining it I discovered the polyurethane (?) lining has a 5cm long gash where the side meets the base. It's probably been in there since we got the tank, and has finally rusted a small hole in the metal (not that I can find the hole). There is a small amount of what looks like rust deposited on the surface of the lining in places.

I reckon all I need to do is plug the gash, but I don't have a clue what sealant I can use that will bond with the lining, is waterproof, and suitable for immersion in a potable water supply.

I've been to two hardware shops, and nobody there has had any idea.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheerful Regards
    Mark31

2. susann

susann Junior Member

Re: Leaking rainwater tank

hi- I have no experience with this - however I have read that 'sikaflex' is the sealant that they use when they install water tanks so maybe this is the stuff you need?

3. dgriffith

dgriffith Junior Member

*shrugs*

I would use neutral cure silicone... or the acetic kind (that smells like vinegar) as long as you give it 24 hours to cure. It's quite inert once set, and if there is anything left, once it's diluted out to 10kL or whatever the size of your tank is, it can pretty much be safely relegated to the category of "bugger-all".

That, coupled with a small, relatively stiff plastic patch (eg from an ice-cream lid) over the gash would probably do it. Note that you probably want to reinforce the outside of the tank if the rust hole is of any size as otherwise the water pressure will want to push/rip the liner back out.

Of course, this is what *I* would do, your opinion on it may vary :D

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day mark,

how old is the tank, those ligned tanks are supposed to have a substantial guarantee.

would suggest a poly tank next purchase. as has been said be carefull with those silicone sealants where they contact the water could at least taint the water.

len

5. Mark31

Mark31 Junior Member

Thank you for all your responses. I've now been able to track down a product called Sikaflex 11FC, which is certified for use with potable water and apparently bonds well to polyurethane. Because of where the gash is, it would be very difficult to put a patch on, so I hope to just fill it with copious quantities of Sikaflex.

I haven't chased up the warranty, but the tanks only about six years old, the steel comes with a 20 year guarantee from BHP, only BHP don't actually make the tanks and their warranty is voided if the tank is not constructed properly. The people who made the tank only gave a 90 day guarantee on the construction.

If the Sikaflex does the job, that saves a lot of potentail hassle chasing up the warranty and it get's it fixed now. If it doesn't work, I can try chasing the warranty then.

I've been wishing I'd bought a poly tank for a while now...

Cheerful Regards
    Mark31

6. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

just the tanks i have seen with tat polymer liner seem to ahve had 15 or25 year warranties against the lining failing at least.

len

7. Mark31

Mark31 Junior Member

Hello Len

You might be right about the lining material guarantee, although we don't have any documentation.

But if you buy your tank from Dodgy Brothers Ltd, and they just do a bad job of applying the lining, I doubt you'd be covered.

Buyer beware I guess.

Cheers
    Mark31

PS I like your falcon.

8. dwayne3427

dwayne3427 New Member

I recently bought a water tank from https://superwall.com.au/, its very nice and big in size which saves large amount of water.