Leaf curl on peach trees

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by urbanus, Oct 8, 2009.

1. urbanus

urbanus Junior Member

Any ideas for treating severe case of peach leaf curl without resorting to fungicides? Trees have heaps of fruit and have not lost leaf cover. I realise it may be too late for this season but would like to save the trees.

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Re: Leaf curl on peach trees

Here's some info on treating peach trees for peach leaf curl...

"Lime sulfur—one of the most effective fungicides for control of peach leaf curl—is allowed in certified organic production . Bordeaux and copper fungicides—also approved for certified organic programs—are effective as well, but not as effective as lime-sulfur."
    "https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/peach.html

Sue

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Re: Leaf curl on peach trees

Wer have had great effect with using changing surface pH to combat fungal problems. A spray of bicarb of soda followed by a spray of cider vinegar will alter the surface pH to make it a bad place for fungus to be.

4. hooksy

hooksy New Member

hi.
    It would be helpful if you could elaborate on the sprays .what are the sprays made up of and were do you spray it. e.g. %10 bicarb of soda %90 water spray directly on the plant. And I was thinking:think: of whizzing around my poor old leaf curled plant say once every two days.
    Any help would be great cheers.:)

5. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

Wouldn't the sodium bicarbonate and vinegar cancel each other out, one being alkaline and the other acid? Or is this another one of those Southern Hemisphere tricks?

If you tell me it works, I'll believe you. Took a look at my sister's peach today and had a bunch of curly leaves, but think it may be drought and neglect rather than fungus.

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

"changing surface pH" is the trick
    acid to base to acid

7. luke_

luke_ Junior Member

hi - sorry to hijack your thread, but it seemed like the place to ask rather than start a new one ...
    we have just purchased a property that has 3 peach trees all 5 years old, they are entirly covered in leaf curl - with lots of falling leaves - they have just started to fruit - the fruit being about the size of a small grape - I read you should remove the affected leaves - but then i would not have any ! and is the lime sulfur meant to be applied before foliage appears like a winter wash kind of thing... ? is there anything effective I can do now ? all help greatly appreciated : )

8. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Not much you can do now luke. Just look after the trees needs in general, clean up the worst bits and then look at getting it ready for next season.