Lead Mold: Basic wire cage or giant bin?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by stellation, Aug 20, 2013.

1. stellation

stellation New Member

Hello everyone, long time listener first time caller. I thought I'd ask the below to see if anyone has an opinion, forgive me if it's glaringly stupid and betrays a degree of ignorance (or is simply in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure if this was truly a system query or not).

I have leaves, lots of them, all laying happily on the ground that I'd like to turn into leaf mold. I was planning on making a rather basic wire cage to store them in using some bits and bobs from around the place however wanted to ask some quick questions;
    • I'm assuming that a pile of leaves will generate a bit of heat- does anyone know if they can become something of a snake haven? We live in an area that has snakes about, we're mindful of it and don't really have any issues with them- but I'm equally mindful I'm a nancyboy and will be laughed at by my more manly neighbours when my girlish shrieks echo out, so avoiding creating additional sneaky snake habitat is a consideration (I appreciate there won't really be vermin for them to snake on, ala compost)
    • Is a big pile of leaves in a wire cage a fire hazard? We live in an area that is bushfire prone (the Blue Mountains in NSW, AU) and whilst I realise the pile would need to be kept relatively damp and would breakdown, I understand the decomposition is a long term thing and I imagine through summer it would be partly (well?) on its way and still have a fair bit of crinkly leaves to catch light. I'm not too paranoid about this, but don't want to be irresponsible.

Does anyone have an opinion? The next option after a cage that I had considered was a giant compost bin, any thoughts on that?

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Ahh so that would be LEAF mold. Not LEAD mold. Had me confused for a bit!

I wouldn't expect there to be much heat - this isn't a balanced compost mix - just leaves and fungi doing their thing. A big pile of sticks is more likely to be snake haven. If the pile is kept moist - an enclosed bin with a lid or a tarp would be a better way to achieve this than a wire cage as it'll reduce evaporation - then it isn't a fire hazard. Quite the opposite.

I'd go the big compost bin option personally. You can make it pretty vermin proof and keep the water in and it looks tidy if you are into that sort of thing.

3. heftzwecke

heftzwecke Junior Member

Composting needs air and bins do not provide sufficient air. I would go for the wire cage. Or use all the leaves directly as mulch on beds.

4. Ludwigrhysy

Ludwigrhysy New Member

Humic acid might also improve the clay soil over time(won't do much for the urbanite though).