lawnmower to make mulch?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by hedwig, Jun 20, 2007.

1. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

we've got an old lawnmower standing arund which needs maintainance.
    For the bit of lawn we have (the footpath) lawn I would prefer a hand push mower - but would the old mower perhaps be good for mulching?
    does this system work on the long run and does it chip twigs as well?

I hate mowing with petrol mowers it is loud and stinky! But if we could use this old ting for both it would perhps be worthwile repairing it.

2. Susan

Susan Junior Member

mulch mower

I have run over a pile of twigs to chop them up seems to work for anything up to thumb thickness. Mind you does nother for the sharpness of your blades.
    Sue

3. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

My favourite garden tool is my lawnmower. I know they're evil, but, I make so much mulch, and I chop stuff like straw and twigs up with it to make my compost faster. And I can catch lawn clippings for the compost - I somethimes even mow the neighbour's lawn.

And I use it to clear grass before I sheet mulch - gradually lower the blades til you're almost on dirt. It's great.

Getting a mower fixed and the blades changed isn't that expensive. In fact you can normally take the mower in for a quote. Mower shops are better than just your mitre 10 etc.

So yes, my partner is probably right that I use the mover too much, but there you go.

Much love Tamara

4. paul wheaton

paul wheaton Junior Member

Electric mower hopefully?

I think that if you mulch on top of tall grass, you have less chance of the grass poking up through the mulch. But I guess that depends on the mulch.

5. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

petrol mower.
    stood in raind - so you think it is a good idea keeping this thing even I don't like this noisy stinky appliance.
    Moreover it need three times the space a handmower needs!
    (Our neighbours mow themselves and give us the grass , but there isn't very much to mow at the moment)

6. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

hedwig, I think the best use for a lawnmower is cutting grass and weeds. That's what gives you a thick, water-saving mulch that is part of doing the no-dig.

Twigs aren't going to give you the kind of covering that no-dig requires. They won't break down for years, they need to be piled up, kept wet and moldy under a tarp, with extra nitrogen. Then they can be blended with leaves and add to the mulch layer.

I think your money is better spent on hay, straw, alfalfa :)

7. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I received a great tip some years ago:

If you're spreading out a layer of mulch that you want to chop with a mower, lay it near a solid fence or wall (etc), then run over the stuff with the mower discharge side aimed at the wall. This keeps all the mulch in one area, much easier to rake up and put where you want it than just letting it blow all over, which produces a certain amount of waste.

Sue

8. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

hedwig, did you decide what to do with the mower?

My $250 six-month-old mower just blew some rings and is belching smoke because I try to make it mow stuff that is too thick for it. I'm not going to spend any more money on it, it's a sad outcome. It's one of the reasons I got a field mower that can handle the big stuff, but a small mower for me is lighter and easier to get into tight places.

So it's back to bringing in straw for me :)