lawn clippings from lawn contractors

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by carbrooksilkies, May 7, 2007.

1. carbrooksilkies

carbrooksilkies Junior Member

Could anyone tell me if they have had any success contacting lawn mowing contractors in their area to gain bulk lawn clippings to be used as mulch.

We have to date always used bales of sugar cane mulch but i want to expand several large gardens plus add another layer of mulch around all of my gardens.

We have a 5 acre property so we would have no issue with being overloaded with the stuff?

I just figure the contractors have to dump the clippings at the dump and im close enough to both the mt cotton and redland bay dumps for it to be a benefit to a contractor not to have to pay to dump and they could just dump on my side driveway...

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Carbrook,

Great idea. Just a word of warning though, there are contractors and contractors. Some drop clean green waste others [the mongrels] put all sorts of rubbish in there - gearboxes, old mowers etc etc. I do run a tip and see both types.

Try putting a sign on your front fence saying ''Clean green waste wanted'' with arrows to where you want it dumped. You may be surprised and get enough from neighbours etc doing that.

floot

3. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Just a bit of advice here.........I tried that idea 20 yrs ago to build up my soil etc....

I got tonns of it bloody tonnes had to stop em in end.Had no room to put it...

Cant put it in piles as it goes sky high in temperature and goes all wet and stinks real bad strong smell of ammonia this stuff has high potential if mixed with woody material like straw or small woochips or other fibros materials at hand...

1 part woody added with 1 prt grass clippings would be an ideal mix for the old compost tumblers or baring that a cement mixer, mixed together and composted or added to the topsoils....

Great stuff absolutly brilliant...My trouble was/is keeping supplies of both at same time...An organised person could make a lotta money if they can get it right

Tezza

4. colours

colours Junior Member

newspaper for carbon?

would newspaper suffice to layer between grass to act as carbon + aerate? I figure newspaper would also be readily available. Could you make a good compost out of only grass and newspaper? We were thinking of buying a ride-on with a catcher, so would obviously gather enough clippings for our own use.

5. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Yep probobly

Between each sheet

Tezza

6. bill

bill Junior Member

You have to accept that the clippings may contain some herbicides, such as, bromixinal with MCTP (I think thats right). Its commonly used to control flat weeds, onehunga, etc. By all accounts it breaks down very quickly. Chemical use varies from state to state. I know some stronger chemicals can be used to get parramatta grass out of turf on council road verges, ovals, etc but not usually on suburban lawns. Not a big issue unless you are trying to stay totally organic or have super allergies.

7. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

I have a local gardner that drops his lawn and brush clippings here on wednesdays. We have a local newsletter and I advertise in that for horse poo and lawn clippings.
    We don't have a car, so we can't pick up, but believe it or not people actually DROP goodies off here!

ask your local gardeners - its cheaper to take clippings to a house nearby that to drive to a tip and pay to dump.

Of course, pesticide residues might be in the clippings. I compost all my clippings which locks up the toxins.

Keep up the good work,
    Tamara

8. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

I've tried this - but most of the garden contractors around here are too lazy to drop their clippings off at my place. It saves them a $15-30 tip fee, but they'd rather not do it.

If you have a bowling club or golf club nearby - ask them what they do with their clippings. They do work well in the compost

9. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

I have suggested this to him before but My partner didn't want foreign matter brought via lawn clippings. With my sawdust I think I can put it to him again when I convince him I can make loads of compost!
    Yes, the smell of rotting lawn clippings in a pile is disgusting. Heaps of mold too. it needs to be mixed with somthing.

10. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

I rang one today and got same day delivery! He was really happy to take them somewhere and is going to give a regular supply. Go for it!