Last call on Climate Change

Discussion in 'General chat' started by susann, Jun 15, 2008.

1. susann

susann Junior Member

Not sure if this has hit mainstream media. Thought it might be of interest to some.

"This joint statement is a ‘call to arms’ from some of the country’s leading scientists, plus several commentators and politicians. The statement describes the urgent need for an effective response to global warming."

https://www.aussmc.org/Climate_joint_statement.php

2. Ev

Ev Junior Member

Re: Last call on Climate Change

Nay relax CO2 related global climate change isn't really going to happen....

While I'm convinced my statement is true if you haven't checked out the other side you might want to.

Am I the only 1 who knows the "truth" anyone else think it is all misguided interpretation of data?

Also given the fixes they mention to mend this "global climate change" we have no chance anyway even if "they" are correct, it will take more than modifying our current lifestyles with carbon neutral options and the current demand for power is not going to be met in any environmentally friendly ways, it would take something more serious like the replacement of our consumer culture lives and city layouts with something more basic, less oil grown food etc, no government could float that idea.

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

with you ev,

it is all scare mongering science, yes there are problems but most related to habitat destruction and our food being grown too far away from our kitchens along with all communities are developed to create the need for a car, public transport as always will never do the job, and how do you transport a weeks load of shopping home on a bus, that you have sat in the hot sun waiting for, and unless you live right at the bus stop then the problem escalates.

but while ever they persist on this trail they will never see the real needs.

len

4. ColinJEly

ColinJEly Junior Member

5. bazman

bazman Junior Member

It's all about population, not one mention of the word, reduced western population as well as eastern are the only real answer.... But this will not happen as part of any western political direction. Reduction of consumption will not happen until we crash. Which will happen in time, hopefully sooner than later.

6. Luisa

Luisa Junior Member

Interesting discussion.

Here's a link to the runaway greenhouse threat, which some might like to read up on.
    https://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect ... house.html

It's scary just how many of these apparently unrelated issues are reinforcing each other.

Luisa

7. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Sorry but i think there is a little doomer in all of us...
    Mine says that if things crash - its not going to be quick at least not in aus (maybe though in the US if shortages led to universal civil violence but i dunno - australians are more peaceful, we import less oil and we export a much higher percentage of food per capita). We both have this wonderful technology that turns coal into oil and totalls the atmosphere - this is going to give the government controll - as they will controll the oil and the coal and that will be all the power they need, it also means nuclear power plants as soon as we see brown outs.

My main concern is that if my corolla cruises on 30 kilowatts down the highway for an hour each day to work and my house uses around 10kw/day and a plug in hybrid might use 20 kw - if petrol gets to $2 or so everyone would want atleast 1 plug in per household so what if our electricity requirements trippled in the next 10 years - the grid would collapse, the power lines are not designed for this and tripple the powerstations - it just doesnt add up.

Get a good patch of land, 100 metres+ above sea level (for your grandkids), work close to home, pretty much self sufficient, teach your childeren well and smile more :wink:

8. Ev

Ev Junior Member

I have always been curious why our Australian government is riding the climate change train, especially when they say it will cost people money and require sacrifice... I can speculate as most but something with proof and a reasonably simple explanation would be nice as opposed to the ramblings I have previously come across.