Language barrier or typos?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by SueinWA, Jun 24, 2006.

1. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I don't know where to look for this, so I'm asking here. I don't know if these are typos or language misunderstandings.

In the U.S., when a ' comes after a number, it means feet in length (6' = 6feet). And " means inches (6" = 6 inches)

In a Canadian company's website, they say "Fibre length 0.6' - 1.0'. What does that mean? I know the fibers shouldn't (can't) be a foot long, so I'm wondering if that means mm or cm.

Same site, another entry: "Percent organic matter, 99.5+1%". Do they mean 99.5 to 100%? I can't see it meaning a total of 101%...

Any info welcome.

Sue

2. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

Hi Sue. They look like typo's to me, or something worse. Being something of a pedant, that sort of thing really bugs me. :axe:
    How are we supposed to figure out what people are saying, if they don't know in the first place? :doubt:

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day sue,

could be typo' but could be 0.6' = 1/6 of a foot

so the other 1.0' could mean a whole foot?? :D :idea:

with the percent that is a strange way of putting it hey reckon they may be saying 99.5% +-1% maybe because for the main no one can claim 100%, or they may just mean that it is 99.5% +1% meaning they think it is better than 100% :?: :?: :p

len :wink: :oops:

4. dougchil

dougchil Junior Member

usually

when you have a 95+3% it mean it has at least 95% of what ever but it can be up too 98% of what ever

i think the original idea was correct

as for the measurement that would mean the minimum length would be 60% of foot or 7.2 inches and the longest would be one foot or 12 inches

as you can see easier to put 0.6' to 1' than 7.2" to 12" decimals just seem to confuse the issue for a lot of people

they "should" have the symbols used explianed or use the unit of measure as a word as above

(length symbols used {" is the inch symbol}{' is the foot symbol})