Khaki Campbells Infertile?

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by permup, Dec 2, 2009.

1. permup

permup Junior Member

Hi there,

My beautiful Khaki Campbell duck sat on, hatched and raised 14 ducklings about 2 years ago - what a proud Mum she was.

Since then however, she has tried and tried to no avail. The eggs don't hatch - they just go rotten eventually and I have to destroy the nest.

I leave her for about 8 weeks each time, just in case - but no - nothing.

Is it possible that Mr Campbell is shooting blanks?

Paula.

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Re: Khaki Campbells Infertile?

I don't know much about ducks, but if the Mr. was the father of the past ducklings, maybe there is some kind of health problem with Mr. or Mrs? A nutrient deficiency is the first thing that comes to my mind, but who would you ask???

Some medications (esp for coccidia) and some farm chemicals can cause sterility -- has there been any exposure? Do you feed medicated feed?

If you have some access to a high-quality feed with vitamins or something, maybe you could try that.

Or try another drake and see if you get different results.

Sue

3. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

shooting blanks....maybe

hello,
    if he is a pure khaki cambell and not a 'mule' he should be good for the job.
    but he might just have a personal issue,,,,I'm inclined to blame the duck though....maybe she sits but doesn't manage her nest so well; maybe she does not turn her eggs.

a few more goes perhaps.
    regards,
    Kimbo