keeping the chooks' water frost free

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by blomskogfarm, Nov 29, 2007.

1. blomskogfarm

blomskogfarm New Member

I would like to be able to leave home in the winter for a few days at a time. How do I keep my chickens' water from freezing? I am looking for a non-electric solution since my home is off the grid and runs on a small solar electric system.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

In Minnesota, USA . . .

Thanks, Chris

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Chris,

I'll imagine that you're seeing some very cold temperatures in Minnesota! I can only think of two ways to keep your chook water liguid...and one entails using a small, DC powered electric pump to keep the water moving, perhaps cycling it through an insulated storage tank. Could your off-grid system support a small pump during times of your absence?

Another possibility involves some sort of insulated thermal mass to store and transfer heat to the watering container...creating a very localized microclimate. This might be a little labor intensive to dig out a deep volume, insulate the bottom and sides, fill with rocks or concrete, then perhaps cover with an insulating cap that has a hole cut-out just the size of your water container. This might provide enough stored heat to prevent a total freeze-up, especially if it was protected on the top and three sides (which would only allow the chooks access from one side).

There are some RV/marine drinking water anti-freeze solutions that are considered safe to drink, but I'm not sure I'd want to have my egg-producers drinking it. 8)

Anyhow, a couple of ideas that may (or may not) have some merit.

9anda1f

3. rhancock

rhancock Junior Member

Didn't we used to put a ping pong ball in the water to keep some of it unfrozen? I don't think it'd keep the water warm, but would it help?