Juuuuust about had enough :-(((

Discussion in 'General chat' started by ~Tullymoor~, Sep 16, 2005.

1. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

OK, this bloody computer.....I moved it to the kitchen cos the phone line there gives me the grand net speed of 24 to 28 k whoo hoo which is better than the incredibly frustrating 12's I was getting in the study. All was going well, can live with less bench space, stress levels were abating UNTIL I clicked on that dopey mongrel link that has ruined my puter and therefore my happiness! :(

So, I d/l AVG super duper version.

I got AdAware...it finds stuff and removes it.

I went tools,internet options,privacy,sites, and cut and pasted the two sites that keep popping up on me all the time AFTER making the puter run so slow I'm gonna piff it out the window grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and STILL the sites come up, even though I have blocked them!!

I follow Corn's advice and go to d/l SpywareBlaster and what do you know? Up pops the dopey other page saying download this, your puter is running slow!! Yeah, no S*** Sherlock!!!

I get rid of the offending page and click download now and it tells me it's gonna take 40 mins so I go out and play with the chooks, plant some watermelon seeds, check on my baby Tagas (trying to keep this post Permie related here) come back in after 20 mins or so and it says Download complete, good. No, not good, it's saying it's complete after 19 mins and it's not complete at all!!! So, I think ok, I'll try again, I have all day don't I? You guessed it, it happened again.

I am so over it. Having a slow connection is frustrating enough , downloading all these things is just so time consuming (come on Bracks, you SAID you would assist people in rural areas with telecommunications!!!!!!!!) but having it run slow cos you KNOW it is because some no-life/low-life/scum/hacker/parasite/abuser of technology has PUT it IN your puter and not knowing how to get it out is just about driving me insane! Can you tell?? :oops: :( :evil: :cry:

2. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

Hmmm have no idea what problem you could of had with spywareblaster.......I still say it's better than adaware....stops spyware from getting onto your computer rather than having to check and then delete. :(

I can look up that site if you like.

3. Ichsani

Ichsani Junior Member

Hi Tullymoor,

I'm sorry to hear about your 'puter, I'm sorry I can't give you some advice, but I'll ask my younger brother (he seems to know about that stuff) good luck with it.

......not that I want to say get a new computer, but if you happen to come accross a good second-hand macintosh computer thats nice and cheap, they're worth thier weight in gold, cause their operating systems are diferent they don't really get viruses....had mine for three years and i've never had one knock knock touch wood touch wood touch wood.....as computers they tend to be a bit more delicate though, but at least they don't get sick.......

.........apparently all the sickos who write these things mainly know how to speak microsoft, bill gates kind of computers (PC's?) dell, pentium and all that stuff....

Hope a big fat shiney (working!) computer appears on your doorstep provided by the cosmos :D, or the elixer of life for your current 'puter

xxx
    Ichsani

4. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Hi Tully,

What version of windows are you running? If you're running 98, try running scandisk. I haven't figured out how to do this with XP yet, but I find it seems to solve a lot of problems with 98 even if I never actually find out what the problem was in the first place.

What happens when you open internet explorer (or Modzilla)? Does it come up with your normal homepage?

Adaware cause me problems so I ditched it. I think it was conflicting with something else I use. The only things I'm using now is the antivirus software and 'Spybot, Search and Destroy'. Spybot's easy to use and easy to download. You can run it whenever you like to see if any spyware's been deposited on your computer. I just deal with the adware as it comes up. You need to check for updates regularly also.

Whatever you do, DON'T DOWNLOAD ANYTHING THAT POPS UP THAT YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR. These programs can cause you all sorts of problems until you agree to PURCHASE their software to get rid of whatever it caused in the first place.

If you go into control panel and install/remove programs, try getting rid of anything you downloaded in the last few days, dating back to when the problem started. Reboot, try again.

Rather than downloading more stuff, try getting rid of some stuff. Your computer could be experiencing conflicts between too many bits of software trying to do the same thing.

Also, go into internet options and delete the cookies and temporary internet files. Reboot, see if this helps.

And lastly, does it just happen when you're on the internet? When things go really slow, it could be a sign that there's something else running in the background.

I've got to go and get dinner done as I'm on my own tonight; hubby's working late, but I'll try to pop into the chat room later.

Tam

5. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

hey tully...

PM or email your address and I will send you a disk full of goodies :)
    I have a 1500/256 Broadband connection (not one to brag) but I should be able to get you anything you need.

We'll have you back and running sweet in no time :)

6. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Tullymoor (dearest),

Ichsani has good advice. If you can find a Mac, get it, especially if it is running any version of OSX, which is so stable you'll never look back. If yu get a Mac with OS9, you will have more problems (pre unix), but still more stable than windows.

The cacao coop was all macs, but Gregor bought three PCs to "upgrade" the coop. They froze regularly, crashed sometims, were slow, and took a lot of maintenance. I laughed, quietly. He would get really pissed off at his 'puter and scream at it. I would look up and pretend I was concerned, "what's the problem? It's giving you trouble, again?" :twisted:

Anyway, that was my experience with PCs, and I wasn't impressed.

Macs are resistent to viruses, hard to hack into, very, very stable, and OSX is like, I dunno, Windows 2012... :lol:

Just a thought. I still love you even if you have a PC......

Cwistofa

7. ~Tullymoor~

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Awwww, thanks everyone, I'm a bit embarassment now...I think I was having a moment. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I won't and can't get a new 'puter, my lovely son bought this one for me on HIS twenty oneth birthday, August only a year ago, so it's still sort of new.
    If he were here he'd fix it in a heartbeat, he's a bit clever with these things....his Mother, on the other hand, is not.

Anyhew, sorry for my outburst. Muzza if you like you can delete this thread, I don't mind :?

One question about this Firefox thing (that'd take me 3 days to downlaod no doubt)...the popups I'm getting in IE, they wouldn't popup in Firefox cos they've been "planted" in IE? True of false?
    Thanks again guys,
    Love Tullymoor XXX

8. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

Tully, I love it when you get all fiery :)

Not sure why (as I am low tech challanged ie I struggle to understand my big red Eastern Block Tractor -Boris) but since switching to Firefox (and Thunderbird for email) I get zero pop-ups, spam etc.which greatly speed my puter. Mind you, a dear friend of mine set it all up for me (he is one of those rich computer types that abandoned his childhood friends for huge sums of money in Canada, but i'm not bitter at all)

Steve

9. ~Tullymoor~

He married??

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

10. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Hey Tully,

Don't be embarressed. :goodman:

Permaculture's not the only common interest we all have here otherwise we wouldn't spend so much time on our 'puters. Situations like this affects us all and this thread could be a good source if reference for us if we incur the problem ourselves. I had big probs with mine getting on a month ago. I remember writing some stuff about it all in one of the threads, ended up having to reformat the hard drive in order to get rid of the bloody spyware.

P L U S . . . It is kinda funny picturing you just about chucking it out the window. :lol: :lol: :lol:

P L U S . . . Your comment about Bracks is so valid. Now they've sold the bloody lot so how does the promise stand now???????

It's not your computer's fault so don't even think that there's anything wrong with it. You could buy a brand new one and have it infected with something else within a week. Apple users are like Collingwood supporters or Holden drivers. I won't go into it except to say that as great as they are made out to be by their one eyed fans, there are millions of non apple users out there who are completely satisfied with their computers.

We didn't buy any of our computer stuff, it all resulted from other people's cast offs whether handed down from a friend/family or salvaged from the hard rubbish collection. You don't need to spend big bucks to get a pretty good setup which I'm sure you've already got.

Tam

Tam

11. ~Tullymoor~

Thanks Tam :D You're funny....

12. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

Tully, no he's not married but for good reason, as much as I love my dear friend, I wouldn't wish him on any woman, he's just not any good at it, actually he's just plan shocking at relationships.

Steve

13. ~Tullymoor~

Hi Steve,
    Some people just aren't much chop at it are they....some people are just built to be on their own.

Hey, did you market today or is it tomorrow?

14. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Tam,

I didn't mean to say anyones computer is bad, but the windows operating system is known to be more buggy, prone to visuses, prone to crashing, prone to freezing than mac OSX. Mac OSX is a much stabler operating system because it is built on a Unix core. If people are honest and not wed to "branding" with a particular operating system, then the mac offers some advantages.

Forgive me if this makes you unhappy, or if I have incited a desire to flame me out, and I am not attcking anyone, and I want to be everyones friend,... but I would disagree with your statement that a brand new mac could get infected within a week. Sorry, but if it has any virus protection software on it at all, that is extremely unlikely, on the realm of so statistically improbable that you are more likely to get eaten by a shark, in a swimming pool five miles from the ocean.

Like Ichsani, I have found Mac OSX to be very reliable. I have been running OSX for the last three years on every computer I have used, and all three of the computers at the coop, three of them here, and never had a single crash, no spy ware, never been infected with viruses (knock on wood a bunch :lol: , and we do use virus protection software), and except for running utilities every six months, and updating for viruses now and again, we spend absolutely zero time on maintaining them.

The previous operating systems, which I have used since back in the mid 90's, up to OS9, were less stable than OSX, but still less susceptible to viruses than Windows.

I don't doubt that millions of windows users are satisfied with their computers. My brother is a techy internet millionaire. He is a PC guy, started three companies and sold them all. He is obscenely rich, and he could afford any computer he likes, and he likes his PCs. He is in some company making billing software for cell phones now.

I know plenty of people who own them and are very happy with them. That doesn't alter that you never hear a mac user with stability problems, or suffering from adware, or malware, or spy ware or catching viruses because the OS is designed well (and really easy to use), and is more secure.

I can run anything on a mac, including any and all PC programs. I exchange files easily with PCs, and have no formatting problems. So I don't see a need to use windows.

Having a mac enables me to spend more time doing other things, like farming, for example, or posting on line :lol: . Its the same reason I don't own a Land Rover and do own a Toyota. (I had several ex Brit Army cast offs, one after the other, bought cheap, in the 90s, which were great when they ran, really great, but not as reliable as a Toyota, and spent a lot of time being "maintained" and repaired.)

The biggest disadvantage to a Mac is that they cost more than PCs, sometimes up to twice what a PC would cost that was "similar". Also, some other disadvantages of owning a Mac is that they tend to turn you into a pod person, cult zombie or rabid animal, (probably all of which accurately describe me at various times of the day, phases of the moon, etc :lol:) depending on your personal demeanor.... but, just because more people drive Toyota than Lexus doen't mean the Lexus isn't very, very, very nice :lol: .

And, just so you know, I have two eyes :tard: (thats me, with two eyes), not...... one :cyclopsani: :lol: .

Love,

Christopher

15. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Hi Christopher,

You hit the nail right on the head - cost.

I've been aware for some time re the comparable cost of MAC vs pc and would find it therefore, out of many people's reach, especially mine as my PIII (printer, scanner, etc) was all acquired for free. The only thing I've ever bought is an internal modem, once, and it lasted a full 3 weeks before a thunder storm blew it up, and a RAM chip, but then I found more on the hard rubbish collection so considered that a frustrating waste of money, especially as I no longer really needed it. I just collect bits of RAM here and there now and swap the smaller ones over for bigger ones if I can get them.

Anything I don't use, goes into a box to build a computer for the kids. My 3yold's now into 'Mixy's Playground' and being on broadband, he gets up in the morning before me, turns on the computer and finds his way through all the rest into his little folder of favorites. :?

It's a pain having to run anti virus software and I've only just recently given Nortons the flick as it was slowing things down tooooooo much. I'd been using Nortons System Works 2000 since buying it new and recently upgraded to Nortons System Works and Nortons Internet Security 2003, as the internet security component has an inbuilt firewall. It was a bloody nightmare!

After mucking around with it for a month, I uninstalled the lot, installed Windows XP which has an inbuilt firewall (over the top of Windows 98SE) and downloaded NOD32 virus software. (free full trial version which I can get around :twisted: ) I'd already been using Spybot which I'd find reliable and if you set it up so it installs the teatimer, (I think it's called) it'll be on full time protection. NOD32's good because it downloads the updates automatically, with Spybot, you need to check for updates regularly.

Another thing while talking about operating systems, I've had Windows XP available to me for the past year but hadn't installed it as I thought it might be too much for my simple computer, but having done so now, I find that things just run so much better and easier. Trouble is, some of my hardware are not compatiple with XP. I'm going to try and download a new driver for my scanner which might help, otherwise, if I need to do any scanning, I'll need to fire up the old PI (also acquired for free).

The worst thing was, before I installed a firewall, my homepage was hijacked by something and it'd keep reverting back to some crap they were trying to flog. The only way I could get rid of it was to reformat the harddrive.

I guess I'd need to reword my claim as to millions being satisfied with their pcs and say, on the whole, millions are. After all, they'd have to be billions of computer owners out there, most of em running windows, and on the whole, a percentage, whether it be large or small, would have to be satisfied with their compter and OS, I am most of the time and if a problem does arise, it usually stuffs things up for a month or so until I say 'what the ...' end up opting to back up everything and reformat. But things like this usually occur when I've mucked around with it in the first place and not necessarily due to viruses, spyware or adware. In fact, my computer hasn't had a virus for 2 years, and the only reason it got that is because I was building a new one (not this one) and was part of the way through installing all the software, and I hooked up to the net prior to installing Nortons and the virus arrived in one of the emails.

Cost is a big issue for many of us. Owning a computer for me is a luxury because if it wasn't for people offering me their castoffs (because they know I'm a bowerbird) and my good friend willing to carry out any of the complicated work for me (replacing hard drives, mother boards etc) which I'm sure I could tackle myself if shown, I wouldn't own one. As it is, I own 3, 1 pI and 2 PIIIs which I wouldn't have if the parts weren't so easily obtainable. It's like shopping for a new dif for your HQ Kingswood, you could probably get it at your local milkbar. :wink:

Tam

16. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

I'd been wondering why my IE is blocking popups all of a sudden and just realised that it's a feature of the google toolbar which installed when I downloaded google earth. Not bad!

Tam

17. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Try 'Spybot'.... it will allows you to delete these sorts of sites after you have visited them and they tag your computer whenever you log on.

Cheers... Dave

PS. As i live in a National seat and they want to sell Telstra they have given our town ADSL! Didn't think it was really needed here but i'm certainly not going to complain :lol:

18. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Thanks Dave,

I actually don't mind it. Has blocked 34 so far.

I'm already running Spybot and it's doing it's job well. Comes with Google Earth, so not complaining as I consented to it's installation, even though I didn't realise it at the time. :lol:

Tam

19. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Hey Tully,

Have you had any progress with your temperamental computer?

Tam