Just an intro..

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Glenn18, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Glenn18

Glenn18 Junior Member

Well G'day all,just bought a 2ac property in the central west plains and slopes of NSW in an endeavour to become self reliant,we are starting basicly from scatch,so I guess we are in for a bit of a ride(A long one we hope as we are 52 & 46yrs of age).We arn't new to chickens and the vegie patch so the rest will most likely be a learning curve and we hope to get insight to the whole project thru this forum.Fingers crossed.

Glenn.

2. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Welcome and good luck Glenn

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Glenn

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

Good ages, the 40s and 50s, we are old enough to have learned a few things in life, but still young enough to learn a few more ;)

Cheerio, for now, Markos

4. adrians

adrians Junior Member

welcome.. we hope you can learn some stuff around here, I certainly have.. picking up things here and there from the discussions..
    first you'll be self reliant in eggs, then pumpkins then corn then.... take it one at a time, and don't try to do it all at once! take time to make a good plan..

5. Beedee

Beedee Junior Member

I'm such an idiot. I read your intro and it didn't even click it was you. Duh. Blond moment alright. :p

6. Glenn18

Glenn18 Junior Member

Yes Markos,I think you are right about the advantages of our age.We were lucky in that our place has permanent water(Drinkable bore)and quite a few fruit trees.At the momaent we are trying to source as much "Free" stuff as we are on a limited budget.So far we have aquired copious amounts of chicken wire,fencing wire suitable for sheep,goats and pigs.Also the other day I was given a few hundred mtr's of reticulation piping from an old vineyard,because of the floods in the area we chanced apon 60 odd bales of alpalfa(luceren) that was in very good condition for free as well and our local reffuse point supplied all the corro for the 6 raised bed sections of our vegie beds.
    We were a bit out of our element deep in rural issolation and feel that our "Maturity and wisdom" helped imensly with our networking efforts with the local farmers.We have even lined up a few trailer loads of chicken manure from a local farm and have as much free horse poo from the Dubbo race track(We took all thet the Wellington race track had..LOL)

Glenn.

7. Glenn18

Glenn18 Junior Member

Yeah that sure is the plan adrians.
    We have an old garden shed that I made a "Quick"chicken coop out of till I make a bigger one,they free range all day and are safe from fox's at night.I'm building an honesty shed at the gate(As well as the permanent coop) out of used hardwood pallets I sourced for free.
    Yes,take time to make a good plan..."Golden words",having it all flow is the main thought process and,with me,that deffinately takes time to think and plan for.In the long term we need this place to pay for the outgoings,hard times ahead.

Glenn.