jerusalem artichhockes, ginger, tumeric, etc.

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by hedwig, Aug 23, 2005.

1. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

I bought some roots in the supermarket. The last time it did not work, i'll try to plant them once again. jerusalem artichhockes, ginger, tumeric, etc. - do you let them sprout out bevore planting or do you plant them immediately after buying?

2. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

A wee word of warning, jerusalem artichhockes are hard to get rid of if you plant them in open beds, plant them in a confied garden bed or an old bath or big pots etc or they will keep popping up every year and everywhere. I buy the ones with eyes already on them and plant them as you would a spud. A second word of warning they earn the nick-name Jerusalem Fartichhockes.......brrrruuuurt :oops: The flowers are lovely though (in the sunflower family).

Steve

3. barely run

barely run Junior Member

artichokes

:lol:
    Bought 4 tubers at the ABC Garden Expo in Sydney this week .... from the Northern Permaculture Group site...cost me 50c each
    Does anyone know if they will stand wind as well as producing it...plan on planting them between the wheat paddock and the permaculture garden...lots of room..but also big winds.

Would love to get some tumeric tubers...read about them in last BD Magazine...haven't found any around here yet...Orange/Cowra and dont know if they'll grow here either

Cheers
    Cathy

4. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

Cathy,

The jerusalem artichhockes grow very tall ie 6 feet tall, they are really very similar to thier relative the sunflower, i reckon they will blow over in the windy spot.

Steve

5. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

tumeric and the other stuff I bought at woolworths

6. lillypilly

lillypilly Junior Member

i just read a kids book on growning things. sweet potato plant was one of the topic in the book, it says to wrap in a plastic bag with holes init and put away in a dark cupboard. in a weeksh there should be shoots. dont know if this is any help??? the diffenent jerusalem artichhockes, ginger, tumeric, i saw in woolies last week were organic...

7. lillypilly

lillypilly Junior Member