I've found my goats! (and another little surprise) Yay

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Tamandco, Nov 7, 2005.

1. kerry_iz

kerry_iz Junior Member

Goats - gotta love 'em

:shock: Hi All!
    Well, first of all Frosty, I think you’ll find that ‘Goaty People’ don’t consider someone asking for info or help a bother. Please ring the Lady you bought your goats off. You will, in time become a little strange too! Goaty people are really a different breed! LOL LOL :D

Secondly because you are so far away from your vet, you will find, if not just for that reason, they can be very accommodating, especially if they don’t have to travel that far and can help over the phone. They too are aware of ‘Goaty People’

And thirdly, Mums ‘poos’ will firm up more as the kids get a bit older, they are just taking a lot out of her at the moment. I usually gave mine a ‘multi B’ shot along with vitamin C shot after they gave birth. She may be a bit wormy too, but a bit of molasses in her water will help unless you have a drench that won’t upset her milk or kids.

Boy have you got my brain in action again! I forgot what it was like to HAVE to think – thanks – I think!

Kerry

2. kerry_iz

kerry_iz Junior Member

Love does Goats!

:D Hey Christopher, thanks for the welcome. Have heard of the Nigerian Pygmies but would have no idea where to start. Will have a look around the Web - you've got me interested too now.

The Boer goats I have had anything to do with her is Australia haven't seemed as if they needed a saddle and I'm only 5' short, but I have seen some big goats and I understand what you mean - especially when they get boisterous!

I reared my 7 children - all asthmatic except one on goats milk for years - NONE of them need any medication or have ANY problems at all now and the youngest is 20! If that's not a bonus I don't know what is.

Just a hint - if you are purely into goats for the milk, don't keep a buck anywhere near your does [preferably - DON"T HAVE A BUCK AROUND AT ALL] because it can taint the milk.

I have arguments with a number of people about 'Goats milk tasting awful' but I can practically guarantee the milk they had was from a sick doe or a doe near a buck.

I had some friends visit - made them a cuppa and only had goats milk - they wanted no part of it but I didn't tell them that was all I had, but I did after the third one - No more arguments from them on future visits!

Good luck Christopher getting Dawn Goaty too!

Love to hear how you go!

Kerry. :D

3. Guest

Heaps happy to here this Tam! Can't wait to hear how they settle in and how much fun you and your kids have with them. If you ever need a hand with anything, don't hesitate to email direct, as I don't check in here as often as I used to.

4. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Well, I got my goats! :D

First thing, Frosty, re your goat's lump, when I initially went to inspect mine, the lady (very experienced and well respected in both the goat world and the permaculture world), pointed out a small softish lump on the oldest doe's neck and said that it was caused by a reaction to her vaccination.

Just a thought, :?:

I would have posted earlier, but I've been busy getting things just right for them, plus I've been very tired, plus a little disheartened by the recent turn of events on the forum.

The morning of our pick up day, the phone rang. It was my friend who lives not too far away, but who also owns a farm, some 1,200 acres, 3 hours or so away. He hubby spends a great deal of time there, and the family as a whole live between these 2 homes.

One of their hereford cows had given birth to twins the morning prior, and wasn't coping. This was the 2nd set of twins they'd had born this season, the previous having a happy ending, but this one seemed destined.

In the end, they brought the abandoned calf home for me, so I'm now feeding the kid, the calf, and still have my new, 2 week old Ayrshire heifer to pick up next weekend. With OEG chickens hatching in the incubator during the last 24 hours, our place is starting to resemble the local children's farm! :lol:

Back to the goats, Kerry, I was interested to read your info re keeping a buck running with the does in milk. I'm assuming that's what you mean, that it can taint the milk if he's actually running with them and mating.(?) We have arranged to aquire a new buck kid on every couple of years, and raising him to join with the does, then to have him killed for the freezer once he'd carried out his marital obligations. Now I'm concerned. I suppose it'd be more practicable if we kept the buck separated once he starts reaching sexual maturity and showing an interest in the girls. We can do that if we need to.

The trouble is, because of the risks of diseases, most of the good studs refuse does unless they've been recently tested. That's an expense we really don't want. By raising the buck kid, we can have our cake (or the does can) and eat it too, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and have overcome the testing problem too. The solution is one that the stud we bought from recommended, and participates in with many of their past clients.

Tam

Edited to add: Thanks Rainbow Farmer. I may well do that. We must've been posting at the same time. :lol:

5. Dani

Dani Junior Member

Welcome Kerry, I'm a newb here too, I actually only joined to get some info for my mum, but everyone seemed so wonderful and friendly, and tam was sooo helpful I stayed!!

I'd love to read your story about bringing up kids in the bush; not that i have kids or live in the bush anymore, but who doesn't love a good story :D Have you read A Wild Life by Mare Carter. I read it recently quite enjoyed it.

6. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

2 calves Tam :!: :?: And kids... All at once :!: If you need any help, I can come and stay at your place for a weekend Tam :wink: :lol:

A children's farm sounds like a lovely place to live :D

7. frosty

frosty Junior Member

thanks for the suggestions Tam and kerry

we do give the doe a drink of molassis and water after every time we milk her I am glad to hear it helps with worms because I am not willing to give the goats any nasty chemcials to worm them ........ but ti shouldnt be a problem because our land was virgin bush and has never had goats here ......... eventually I may try some herbal wormers

for the same reason I also dont believe in vaccinations so thanks for the info tam but it couldnt be that .......

great to hear you have the goats ! please post some pics when you can :D

kerry do you mean just having a buck on the property or having one in with them ? we are still deciding whether to eventually get a buck or cart the girls to stud .........

as long as we dont get any other goats the people I bought them off will take the doe and the doe kid ( eventually )back for stud

still hoping that the doe will milk for 2 years without re-mating ...... that is one of the erason I got B. alpines ........ when we went to get them they had a doe in for mating who had milked for 3 years since they sold her !

frosty

8. kerry_iz

kerry_iz Junior Member

Re: Goats

:D Hey everyone!

Please don't let me put you off having a buck! Just after years of rearing goats I just found it easier to take my does to a buck for servicing - just to save the milk. There is another way - keep the buck in a pen - as big as you like, are able, or can afford, as far away from the does as possible - as long as he can see them he'll be happy[remembering goats are definate relo's of Houdini] Take the girls to him 'as needed' if you get my drift. But then again, you may prefer to do it as nature intended. Please don't take my word as written in stone! I just did what I found best through my experiences - you have that to do - enjoy! It is an adventure!

Just as a matter of interest, Pat Colebys' book was my 'Goat Bible' I learnt sooooo much from that lady, read all her articles in 'Grass Roots' up until she stopped submitting them.

Just another thought Frosty, Garlic & Comfrey are great for goats too! Garlic for nasties & Comfrey for milk production [Just a few leaves in their feed daily is a real boon]

Well, people, off to hospital on Thursday for a shoulder re-con, will type much slower then, but I will be back in about a week.

Love to you all and do be kind to one another and your own [especially]

Kerry :D

9. kerry_iz

kerry_iz Junior Member

Re: Goats

:eek: Hey Frosty,

Just a quickie, I did have a Toggenberg that was a 'maiden milker' actually miled her for two years before she had even seen a buck, but other than that I have found that most does need to mate every year to 'refresh' their mike supply, apart from the boers that produce twice a year.

Just a thought

All the best

Kerry

10. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Kerry,

Thanks so much for all that info. I think we'll do the yard thingy cos we've got the space and everything's pretty handy and within sight of each other.

How amazing about your Toggenberg! Did she just start to produce milk on her own or did she receive some stimulus, from other does kidding, or kids trying to feed off her.

I've heard some amazing stories about barren women who have adopted and who have managed through stimulation to produce breast milk to feed their adopted babies. Nature's such an amazing thing. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. :D

Tam

11. frosty

frosty Junior Member

thanks kerry

Pat Coleby's book is also my goat bible :D and her land care book is my land care bible ........ thinking I am going to have to buy the Pet care book too for the dog :lol:

all the best with your operation

frosty

12. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Her Horse Care book was my horse care bible too! :D

13. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Just a quicky to show off my new goats.

[​IMG]

Tam :D

14. Guest

AW...I love em already!

...am so excited - I have someone to 'talk goats' with now! :D

We are sposed to be weird people you know...goat people. Have never been able to work out why they say that... :lol:

15. forest

forest Junior Member

awww, they are nice looking goats.

16. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Ah - it them ones! They are beautiful - the big one looks great. Spots!

My curiosity is sated, thankyou Tam. :lol:

17. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

Oohh Tam, aren't they just lovely? :D

I remember as a child hanging over the back of my (suburban!) fence to talk to the goat housed behind it. My folks would scoff and ask me why I'd want to be near such a smelly thing, but I thought she was BEAUTIFUL.. :D

Ejnoy, Tam. :D :D :D

18. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Gorgeous! The older doe looks like a PB Nube..??
    Now, where did the pic of them on the cable reel thingies go??

19. gargun

gargun Junior Member

omg......*sigh*....now Lolly is gonna want a bloody goat! :roll:

Sighing in resignation...

Ray

20. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Of course she is...silly man! :lol:
    Actually from all I've heard, she'll be needing TWO :shock: