I've found my goats! (and another little surprise) Yay

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Tamandco, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

The property we brought almost came with four goats. But because a sale fell through before we looked at it and the goats weren't being looked after the neighbours finally agreed to take them. They asked us if we wanted them, but I said no. We don't eat much red meat and we don't drink milk. Cheese we love...but will have to be contented to buy it.

Will stick a pair of pigs in where the goats had been.

:)

2. frosty

frosty Junior Member

great Tam :D

and I am glad you didnt get a lone goat :lol: they will be happier and you will get more peace and quiet

corny I thoroughly reccomend goats 8)

although Fran I like sheep too ....... we are eventually going to get some Damaras or Dorpers but like yours they will die old and grey not be eaten

frosty

3. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Instead of preferring this or preferring that, why not get the lot, like me.

Only kidding, I haven't got any ducks yet, building the pond first.

Love 'em all,

Tam

4. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

I would love the lot Tam! But we have more bush than grazing land and can only really support two sheep. The bush is left for the natives so we have kangaroos, wallabies, echidnas, lizards and lots of birds to suppliment our animal numbers :lol:

5. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Fran, I'd love 2 each of what you've got too thanks very much. :lol:

Tam

6. kerry_iz

kerry_iz Junior Member

:D Well hello all. Was absolutely thrilled to finally find a sight with 'real' people doing 'real' stuff. Only thing is, you all sound so young! Anyway Tam, raised goats for years and I think it was one of the smartest moves I made and enjoyed it immensely too, as did my seven children. Crossed Saanens and 'Nubians for years and finally got a great milker and bulkier in the meat department. Did you know there is NO cholestrol at all in goats meat and the fat globules in the milk are smaller than in cows' milk making it much better to drink for asthmatics and a lot of allergy sufferers benefit too? I actually got into goats because my now, 23 yr old son, was suffering badly from eczema but has beautiful skin now, I could go on but the benefits are very much on par with the joy these funny beasties bring. Personalities plus. I am biased and miss them terribly. We had a very bad summer a couple of years ago and got totally wiped out by wild dogs. Treasure them - they ARE like kids and love to be spoilt! Actually mine demanded it.

Anyway, great, as I said, to find this sight.

Kerry_iz

7. Cornonthecob

Hmmm....another oldie!

:razz:

8. kerry_iz

kerry_iz Junior Member

:wink: Maybe another oldie, but more than willing to learn, and very happy to share!

9. Cornonthecob

Welcome Kerry :)

Oldies to the left...younger folks over to the right!

:)

10. kerry_iz

kerry_iz Junior Member

:D Thank you for the welcome. Hope to be here a lot, mostly this time of night. Am a real country gal, reared 2 legged and 4 legged creatures, done quite a bit, but never too old to learn or help out where I can. Suffering a little 'Empty Nest' but glad to be here! :!:

11. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Wellcome Kerry from another oldie...Im the shy type i dont post very often

Tezza

12. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Hi Kerry_iz,

Wow seven kids, sorry children!

What actually constitutes 'old'. I thought it was a state of mind, that is until you pick up the newspaper and find that you can no longer focus on the small print. :lol:

I started my family late Kerry, I had my first born, a boy, on my 37th birthday and my second, a girl, the week after my big 40th birthday bash. That's it for me I'm afraid though, just need to get down to raising and providing for them, hence my aim towards a healthier lifestyle.

Anyway, welcome aboard Kerry.

Tam

13. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

~WELCOME KERRY!!~

Can't wait to read all about you and learn heaps from you, I'm sure.

~Tully~ who has no goats and one kid :D

14. frosty

frosty Junior Member

welcome kerry

I am another oldie and a "new" goat person

we have 3 british alpines a doe and her 2 kids

frosty

15. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Welcome Kerry - I think you'll find a mixed bunch in here from those in there early twenties (anyone younger?) to those in their sixties (anyone older?) But we all share a pretty simialr vision :D

Cheers,
    Fran.

16. kerry_iz

kerry_iz Junior Member

I was so totally overwhelmed with all my "Welcomes" Thank you all so much!

First of all 'Tezza' - don't mind if you're shy - we all know you're there!

'Tam' - late bloomer alright, but your aim is more than commendable and it's not that hard once you get into the swing of things. Maybe one day I'll post the story I wrote about "Raising Kids in the Bush" - you'd at least get a laugh!

'Tullymor' - hope I can help any way I can. How old is your 'kid'?

'Frosty' - One of my first goats was an 'Alpine and loved her to bits - miss mine soooo much am seriously thinking about starting again. Not too many goats in this area anymore unles they're purebred and/or mostly Boers. But am a fountain of info if you have anything to ask.

'Fran' - maybe I worded my post badly and should have said 'sounded young' realizing you're all young at heart!

Thanks again for the welcomes. I actually got onto this site searching for recipes for bottling fruit and veges. Not sure if I mentioned that our elderly neighbors have generously given me boxes of fresh peaches and nectarines. Bottling away madly but would like to 'spice them up a bit'
    Any suggestions appreciated. Have a heap of silverbeet, beans, cucumbers, capsicums, tomatoes and cabbages coming on. Partners 'first time garden' and he got a bit carried away - there' only the two of us and our poor old neighbors can only eat so much!

Love to hear from any of you, anytime and thanks again!

Kerry.

17. frosty

frosty Junior Member

kerry said
    :lol: :lol: you may come to regret saying that kerry !

so our current problem is that the kids have got soft lumps on the top of their necks right near their tassle thingys and mainly on the left - the buck (now an it ) lump is about the size of a golf ball the little doe's is much smaller ....... it isnt hot and I dont think it is sore ( they dont mind it being felt )...... they both seem well and are eating normally and are fat and shiny ....... mum does not have a lump

I consulted Pat Coleby's book and it would seem an absess of some kind is most likely ( maybe cheesy gland ) BUT that doesnt equate with no heat or soreness

we did tether them out for a while the day before we first noticed the lumps and at first thought it may have been something to do with pulling on the collar :? but then again they seemed to take the tethering very well and we never saw much pulling or tantrums ..........

they have had these lumps about a week ........ they are 9 weeks old .....they have a mineral and kelp lick made up to the books recipe but I am not sure if they do eat it much ...... we feed mum hard feed but not the kids

we did drench the buck with 1 ml Min Kel and half a teaspoon of Vit C powder the first day we noticed the lump but it made no difference

but I do wonder about a goiter ?

or any other ideas ?

frosty

18. kerry_iz

kerry_iz Junior Member

Goaty Probs.

:? Well Frosty, had a bit of a think and I wouldn't think a goiter would show up this young [by the way it isn't too early for dry feed, they probably sneak some off mum anyway] How are the mozzies at your place - I had a goat totally allergic that came up the same way. Another suffered an allergy to grass seed that seemed to get embedded in her neck around her collar. Failing any of these, unless they actually 'look crook' [and they do when they're down], just keep any eye on them. If you're really concerned just give the local vet a ring - at least that will only cost a phone call! What about a local goat club? There's usually one around. So much for being a fountain of info - first problem and fall to pieces. Please let me know how they go.
    Kerry

19. frosty

frosty Junior Member

thanks Kerry

it is very helpful to know that a goiter would not show up this young

I had decided just to watch and see ......... dont know how much the local ( 100km away ) vet knows about goats but we dont use him much so I dont think he would give free over the phone info anyway :lol:

I had thought of asking the lady I bought them off and she is the secretary of the Dairy Goat assoc over here but while they seem to be doing so well otherwise I didnt want to bother her

but your offer seemed so timely :lol: :lol: :lol:

have considered grass seeds and we do have lots of grass seeding but still think it would be sore

strangely we dont get mossies here 8)

they dont sneak mums food :evil: they steal it with violence !!!! there is a full scale riot and mum usually get pushed out and they put their feet in the feed so she then doesnt want it !

we are having trouble keeping weight on mum ( and cant feed her any more because she gets soft poos )so now we separate her at feed time ....... we could feed them but when they seem to be doing well without it havent bothered

as it is they are much more inclined to graze than mum :roll: she just stands and waits ( and yells ) for the humans to feed her which was how she was bought up .........

we have lots of natural bush and grass so want the kids to become used to grazing ........

we kept the whether for that purpose :lol: his name is Gizmo cause he is a handy little gizmo to turn weeds into garden fertiliser

we will of course feed them if they drop condition . and they have free choice hay and a few branches in their shed at all times

frosty

20. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Hi Kerry,

Belated welcome from me, too!

Dawn is very interested in goats (me too, but got hijacked by interest in aquaponics :wav: ). SWill be following closely any goat talk so that I can poke and prod Dawn towards goatdom. (Only real problem is time, really, tho....)

My main interest in goats is >MILK< to put in my coffee, tho I can see they are wonderful animals.

We are interested in Nigerian pygmies (could they be, maybe, perhaps, the same as "Nubians" ????) as they have a reputation for being good milkers and look fairly easy to handle being the size of small dogs with enormous udders. (Min of Ag is promoting Boers, which seem to stand 7 feet tall and look like large wildebeests with improbably large goat heads grafted on (me is skeered of animals taller than me...).

I am looking forward to hearing more about milking goats...

Thanks for sharing!

Christopher
    [/b]