It was meat,it was dead-what would you have done?:)

Discussion in 'General chat' started by kimbo.parker, Mar 25, 2009.

1. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

''Landscape"

(your at work - you look out the door or window)-

a sheep truck is passing buy - and one sheep (a wether) makes its play for freedom..... it launches itself off the top deck (3 decks high).
    for a short while it is free...
    but then it hits the ground,,,,,and gets hit by the car following the truck...

you see it all -it lives-it jumps-its killed-and then gutted-and partly butchered..........the car and truck do not stop.

_________________________________________________________________________________
    Proposition: because you are a Permaculture person, 'waste not want not';
    you call for some help,,,rush across the road to pick up the joints,,
    use a knife that you carry around with you for precisely this purpose to finish the skinning,,
    that done you shoved the lot in a recycled plastic bag you have in your pocket (always) ,,
    and then stick the lot in the workplace fridge,,,whistling a little permie tune of contentment...........
    __________________________________________________________________________________

Am I right or what ? :lol:

Well you wouldn't believe it folks,,but when I did just that,,, my workplace reckoned I was weird.
    The boss came out enquiring as to who had stuffed the jumbuck in the fridge. ra ra ra .

You guys would have been proud of me; My audience in place, I had but to whisper 'Permaculture'. and they all left me alone shaking there heads.

regards, Kimbo

2. kimbo.parker

Re: It was meat,it was dead-what would you have done?:)

Look this is quite separate and an aside to the issue (The issue about what you would have done)..

Proposition: The truck was heading east, the car was heading east - is the meat Kosher?..SORRY....the other one halal.

Suppose the truck driver had looked in his rearview mirror and at the sight gave a quick prayer ?
    I reckon the car driver would have done a quick prayer for sure,,I know I did.

My boss prayed I'm sure but that was later...
    :wink:
    regards,KImbo

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I prefer duck.:duckie:

There is a good book called A Field Guide to Identifying Road-kill with some interesting recipes; so I know what to get you for Christmas
    :D

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day kimbo,

don't know that i would eat it?? suppose it would be fresh enough? though maybe somewhat bruised & battered?

certainly would bury it in the garden so as to "waste not - want not", but then comes the ownership thingy as i know it, though you may find something lying along the road it is technically not legal for you to possess that item, as i understand the rules that is? be like burying a raod kill native animal should they find out the authorities might say that you could have killed said animal or tenderred it some assistance. as far as i know it is illegal to have in your possession feathers from protected birds.

len

5. kimbo.parker

hi gardenlen,
    are you saying it is illegal to have road kill in your possession?..jeeze what else? - are they likely to search the car?,,
    let me guess...if they suspect road kill they can do the full search...car, boot, body cavities?

I can just see the signs "today local police are targeting road kill"...(you've seen those signs,,where the local police proudly declare their intentions")

'when injustice becomes law resistance becomes duty'...

Mate, I am not your 'eats a lot of road kill type of guy'.....and this incident involved a sheep,,actually a prime lamb,,not your average road kill -snake, goanna, roo, unidentifiable marsupial etc. Len, it was tender mate.

If there is a law,,I intend to flout it..(if there is such a word-'flout')
    I will get a bumper sticker ' Warning Road Kill on Board'.........I'll put it next to the other warning signs....'Baby on Board' and 'Driver is Stoned'

If it had been a cat i would not have eaten it - I would have just skinned it and done the little permie dance of contentment.

thanks for your reply :wink:
    regards,Kimbo

6. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

I'd have wanted to do the same thing, but since I don't have any butchering skills I probably wouldn't have chosen that moment to learn, with the rest of my workplace watching :).

Perhaps you should have just said you were 'rescuing' the 'injured' lamb, quickly put it in your car, and gone home. Then everyone would have thought you were really nice, and probably wouldn't even have minded that you missed half a day of work. Especially when you came to work the next day telling of how, despite your efforts, the poor little bugger didn't make it through the night.

7. kimbo.parker

thepoolroom hahahahahaha :lol:

the 'injured lamb' was in 4 pieces.
    if I'd gone home then I would have missed the wonderful opportunity to demonstrate to my workplace 'applied permaculture'.

It wasn't the meat It was the principle!
    The 'principle' is that normal is not good. Group think is a disaster. Mainstream is crazy.

At times when I am called upon for some well thought out action and endeavour...I always ask myself what would normal people do...then do the opposite.

I've always been inclined to pursue weirdness as an act of individual expression...it was lonely...but then I found you guys :lol:
    regards,Kimbo

8. newcroft

newcroft Junior Member

I'm enjoying your posts Kimbo. :lol:

Hope you hang around for a while.

9. Burra Maluca

Burra Maluca Junior Member

I can't think of a better time to learn!

Personally, I don't think I could bring myself to eat all the bruised and battered bits, but there's a lot of meat on a lamb and it probably wasn't all bruised. The compost heap would soon take care of any bits I didn't fancy eating though.

Kimbo - you're a godsend to this board. I used to find it a bit stuffy and not overly friendly but you seem to have successfully blown all the stuffiness away like a fresh morning breeze. But tell me, do you really carry a knife big enough and sharp enough to butcher a lamb with you all the time you're at work?? :lol:

10. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

nuthin wrong with fresh road kill, would draw the line if I hadn't seen it run over or if the maggots have started

11. kimbo.parker

No , I lied about that...I grabbed one out of the crib room, it was like a butter knife ya know,,,a bastard.
    Fortunately the lamb was quatered, it was a spin out - there was no bruised muscle- there was no guts -

That guts thing haunts me though man,,I need to talk about it ya know.

It disapeared!- no shit (either).
    It was like that jet that crashed into the pentagon,,,like the guts was vaporized but the meat was left...

it is because we are friends that I can tell you this - the wife and I were a bit spooked by it-
    so when we cooked it --I put a 'protective circle' of potatoes around the the sucker .

Straight out of the Designers Manual (inmymindonmylipsinmyheart) that one...

you would do the same ,,,right
    because we're permies -strength & honour
    :lol:
    regards, Kimbo

12. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

Ah, I thought you were surprised that everyone thought you were weird. Didn't realise you were shooting for that reaction :).

Also didn't know that the "injured" lamb was in four parts! :)

13. janrock

janrock New Member

I love a breath of freash air.
    At our work we have a saying that the weirder the better, and we attract the weirdos. However what I love is when pure logic and common sence blow the normal out of the water.
    Love that you didnt need to gut it however perhaps a swiss army knife for your birthday? The visual of you with the butter knife nearly sent me for the paints. Imagine the wheatbelt, the heat, cokatoos in the background and you with the surprised coworkers and butterknife... Wonderful.

14. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Kimbo,

Way to go. The best roadkill always falls off the back of a chiller van. Not that I am Catholic but I am anti-kosher and halal so I always do ye olde ''myfather'sgotmoredominoesthanyourshas'' invocation and then scarper off down the road and organise fridge space to hang it.

Here in the NT not much lasts very long on the road except dead donkeys. Most other things are boned out there and then. It is not hard to recover 50kg of beef off the good side of a roadkill if you get there first. Bush turkeys only last till the first traditional mob pull up. I had an old uncle, Claudie Manbulloo, whose diet consisted of mostly wallabies he picked up on the way home.

Waste not want not.

cheers,

15. Pablito

Pablito Junior Member

I had a real mongrel of a day, today. Drove and walked around Antigua in Guatemala for a couple of hours (and it's not a big town, so I saw the same streets plenty of times) looking for a particular shop and it was either closed (most likely) or has disappeared, so I couldn't find what I was after. Drove to the next town to buy tiles, only to find out that that shop was closed for the long weekend. Felt guilty all the way back to El Salvador about the money I had spent on other stuff over the weekend. The airconditioner in the car backed up due to the humidity and pissed water all through the front carpet in the car, just as I am trying to sell it - someone's looking at it tomorrow, and it stinks of wet carpet. Got home and found that a storm had ripped the skylight out of my lounge-room, meaning I had to climb onto the roof and fix it before tonight's rain. And on top of that, I'm missing "she-who-must-be-obeyed" who is back in Oz.
    Then I read this thread. Thanks, everyone. You just made a bugger of a day a delight. I'm still chuckling.

16. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    Go the road-side butcher!!!!!

Silly laws deserve to be disobeyed - it's not criminal it's civil disobedience - a carnivorous Gandhi!!

if you hadn't got it some poor Wedgie would have alighted upon it only to be mown down itself by the next semi.
    cheers

17. taranakifarm.com

taranakifarm.com Junior Member

Bravo. A few weeks ago my inner opportunist enjoyed the accidental bounty of a bared wire hung kangaroo. While I was butchering it on the back of my 'ute', the thought did cross my mind what others might make of the 'scene'.

Then I remembered Tim Flannery recounting his adventures cataloguing (and eating steaks from) various road kill kangaroo species as he rode across this vast continent on a motobike with eski strapped atop.

Good book.

Cheers to the resourceful.

18. lovingmygarden

lovingmygarden Junior Member

Why should people feel as if they are not normal to do this??? Did the bloody cave man go to the supermarket to buy his food??? Good on you for doing what we all wished we had the guts to do ourselves. I am deemed a bit of a weirdo for just growing all my own fruit and veiges where I live because I don`t fit into the locals stuck up idealism.
    Good on you kimbo

19. nate_taylor

nate_taylor Junior Member

I did that once, slaughtered a road-killed deer we found on the way home from a camping trip. We didn't see the kill but the blood was just starting to trickle out of her body. When we cut her open at home we found an unborn Bambi in her womb. It was pretty sad. I don't think I would have had the guts to bring it to work though. Respect!