Issue with cliff on site

Discussion in 'Put Your Questions to the Experts!' started by eva, Aug 13, 2015.

1. eva

eva Junior Member

Hi it's i have issue with land which previously was conventional farm with no trees, everyting is already cultured so u can't see how the water goes on the propety. I have attached images of the cliff. I was thinking to use it as a way to collect a water for pond which i wanted to put next to house. If i understand swales right this cliff makes all water from hill collect under and on the yard of house. Could anyone help me with this problem, as i really don't know how to solve it. I can't move the whole barn to different place I would be grateful for support.Eva

Attached Files:

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Eva,
    For some reason your pics didn't upload/attach.
    The best way to post photos is to use a free, online photo hosting service such as photobucket or google (there are others too).
    Upload your photos to the site of your choice, then select the "Attachments" icon and "Upload from URL". Enter the URL address directly to your photo and the forum software will pull that photo and insert it into your post each time the thread is loaded. Saves the forum server storage space, allows high resolution photos, and from my experience works every time.
    Looking forward to seeing your pics!

3. eva

eva Junior Member

Hi Bill thank you i have updated pictures,.. hope thay r good enough so someone could help me :) cheers Eva

Attached Files:

4. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    The first thing I would need to ask is why you want to put a pond next to the house? You risk undermining of the foundation from water saturation unless the pond is very well sealed in this scenario. Have you any experience in hydrology or know some one who does? Most ponds In my area are clay sealed and also a minimum of 300 feet from any structures because if there should end up being a leak through the clay seal the ground will soon become saturated. The pond closest to us sprung a leak last year and three older oak trees now lay on the ground as a result of the soil becoming saturated by the leaky pond. The owner didn't know it had a leak until it was to late.

5. eva

eva Junior Member

Hi i thought it's good idea, after reading sepp holzer's book permaculture. But it is very vougue at the moment, firstly i have to sort out issue with this cliff

6. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    what's the distance between the base of the cliff and the barn? What happens to the land either side of the cliff? It's hard to see from the images, can you redo the photos and make them bigger?

7. eva

eva Junior Member

Thank you that you would like to help. The cliff was made by previous owners to make a space for barn, as the whole land is on the hill. The cliff is really sharp only on right corner of the barn, and then it gradually levels to the hill. I don't know if i explained it correctly. Map shows the bigger land picture while the land image shows exactly how the land is shaped. I hope u ll be able to help. Kind regards, Eva

Attached Files:

8. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    thanks, that new diagram is good. Ok, so the barn is really close to the cliff (.5m). What happens at the moment when it rains? Where does the water run? How much rainfall do you get per year? Is there more at some times than others? What is the soil like?

I'm not an expert, these are just the questions I would be asking if it was my place.