Is there such a thing as Multiple Occupancy in Victoria

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by openeyes, Mar 6, 2009.

1. openeyes

openeyes Junior Member

IT Consultant
    Climate:
    Temperate
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if Victoria and specifically Gippsland Council (there are likely a few councils - but I am looking in the general area) allows for Multiple Occupancy development.

ie take a hundred acres and have it company titled to allow 10 shares and as such 10 people having houses on the hundred acres?

Are there any other options for Eco-Communities or Intentional Communities on large acreages like 100-200 acres?

Thanks

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

Re: Is there such a thing as Multiple Occupancy in Victoria

g'day openeyes,

don't reckon they would worry too much about how many people bought a block of land together, for most shires that i am aware of you might all have to live in one dwelling, could be cosy to say the least. all comes down the the rules ie.,. most rural blocks are covered by a presevation rule, no not the hbaitat they could realy care less, it means that the block cannot be subdivided, and most shire kings as they see themselves would imagine that if they allowed 10 homes on 1 block that somewhere along the line the owners would ask for some sort of sub-division. which would mean more services more road accesses in their tiny minds.

check the building codes of the shires you propose to buy land in the more yuppie the shire the more dictatorial they will be, they most likely will all be same/similar, used to be up here you could create individual class 1 dwelling sections so long as they were all connected by a continous beam, or something like that.

or you could buy into some of those so called eco community villages that are in certain areas, but there again you may own the house and the bit of land around it but use of the communal space might come with lots of governence.

better off going out on your own then you are your own master.

len

3. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Would there be some older laws governing multiple permanent dwellings for people to work on a farm - many old family farms in WA were run and owned by aunties, uncles, best mates, etc with a main house and lots of substantial other buildings - houses, shearers quarters, etc. If you were running a sustainable organic farm you might be able to justify a few families to work it - weather it produced much may not mattter - like tax deductions for agriculture it's usually the intent and wether it is achievable with what you have. We are going for the farmstay + chalets with caretakers quarters approach but owned solely by us. - I willl ask around.
    Good luck and keep us all posted. :) :) :)

4. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

google the council web sites - and if you can't find the information through their search engines, email a councillor

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day openeyes :)

I'm currently providing (free) advice to a group in S/W Victoria on a similar subject. As such I have written a couple of one-page documents to help them wade through the Victorian Statutory Planning quagmire.

If you (or anyone else?) would like a copy of these documents, please PM me your email contact, and I will send them through.

Cheerio, Mark.

6. sharif

sharif New Member

Hi Mark

I am interested in how to do multiple occupancies, but how do I send PM?

sharif

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The PM option has been suspended because of a spam issue....

8. Phil Hansen

Phil Hansen Junior Member

You can do anything reasonable so long as you play their game. Planning schemes are just a little jigsaw puzzle, once you figure the code and pattern, you can do almost anything. Push the boundaries - it aint that hard. My advice - find the land you want and learn the planning scheme and start talking to them, they are only humans.
    Cheers
    Phil

9. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day sharif

Try emailing me.

G'day All

Further to the initial question re: MOs in Victoria:

The nearest the Victorian Planning Provisions (VPPs) comes to defining an MO (NSW-style?) is (see: link below):

'Residential Village - Land in one ownership, containing a number of dwellings, used to provide permanent accommodation and which includes communal, recreation, or medical facilities for residents of the village'.

https://www.dse.vic.gov.au/planningschemes/aavpp/74.pdf

Of interest to budding Intentional Communities (ICs), will also be the definition:

'Host Farm - A farm used to provide accommodation for persons, away from their normal place
    of residence, to experience farm living'.

Phil gives sound advice: If anyone is contemplating a permaculture venture (of any description) in any Victorian municipality, you could do a lot worse than run the idea by your local government planner. Contrary to popular belief (and just like Phil describes) we are indeed 'human'; many are familiar with the ethos of permaculture, and a few (such as myself) have even completed PDCs.

Cheerio, Mark.

Oh, and I'm serious about the free advice: If anyone wishes to receive help with Victorian Statutory Planning matters, as they pertain to permaculture ventures, I'm happy to help in a generalist manner. For specific issues, you should always contact your local government planning department, or seek the advice of a qualified planning consultant (search for 'town planner', in the Yellow Pages).