Is the opposion to GM food irrelevant?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Michaelangelica, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Is the opposion to GM food too late, and irrelevant for most?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p006lyks
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p006rbj2

Some interesting comment in# 2, about how we produce food and this makes the type of society we live in.

2. WENewman

WENewman Junior Member

Absolutely not; research has shown that Gm's may have health risks for human consumption and could be detrimental to our biological systems. Promotions of GMO's, by the media and corporations, usually imply that bio-technologies are being developed to solve starvation, like the "green revolution" with it's synthetic fertilizers and pesticides, promoters don't address the fact that GM crops are a part of globalizing our economy and consolidating power. Informed popular movements have lead struggles against these companies; intellectual rights and the patenting of life have been fought against and cases have been won (like the patenting of the Neem tree). Direct actions of radicals, the destruction of GM crops at research facilities, have hopefully shed light on the effects of GMOs to the general public. "Playing god" or tampering with DNA is dangerous and non-sensical; it is obvious that evolution has provided many varieties of crops that are hardy to different climates and environments. GMOs from Monsanto and Cargill have forced family farms into debt (Monsanto "magic seeds" are 1,000 times more expensive than traditional seeds) and have proven to not fulfill their promises of requiring less pesticide. The daunting task of opposing power structures may seem impossible, but pressure should always be on these institutions, especially if they're promoting unsustainable and dangerous agricultural practices.

Stories on direct actions: https://news.infoshop.org/article.php?story=01/05/19/6449163&query=gm+genetically+modified
    https://news.infoshop.org/article.php?story=01/05/22/4696093&query=gm+genetically+modified
    https://news.infoshop.org/article.php?story=01/05/17/0940637&query=gm+genetically+modified

3. Jonathan Byron

Jonathan Byron Junior Member

I agree, and it is never too late. Other forms of pollution have caused damage (some irreversible) but that is not reason to give up and embrace pollution.

4. Shortlyone

Shortlyone Junior Member

The only way we will see the end of GMO's is if there are too few ppl willing to buy products containing them.
    I haven't met a farmer who would plant a crop he knew he/she couldn't sell, it might happen in the US with their subsidies but here it would be financial suicide.
    What ppl need to be actively pressuring for is more comprehensive & much tougher labeling laws so that consumers can make a clear decision.
    How many average shoppers would buy a product with a nice big "Contains Genitally Modified Ingredients" on the label ?

5. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

Is the opposion to GM food too late, and irrelevant for most?
    of course not we got onto a website for a cup-a-soup promotion last night and simply told the truth as we see it .They were getting phenomenal traffic until we got there and all but shut it down.

6. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I wish I knew what your post meant permasculptor, it sounds fascinating :)

7. permasculptor

8. permasculptor

approximately thirty comments pro cuppa soup yesterday and only two today after a little balancing by Peter and Jane.I call that a win . you may have to join as a fan to view the page .

9. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

good old face book.i saw this page on my facebook,i didnt bother with it ..people power, truth may just triumph over bullshit..

Tezza

10. permasculptor

We can but try Tezza.the comments that we are getting are very telling. It is tempting to play their game but we don't see it as a game.when the people have been dumbed down by a constant barrage of misinformation , poisoned food and cerebral stimulation its no wonder they don't care.

11. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Everything we eat has been genetically modified.
    Wheat is so far from the original grass as to be almost unidentifiable, same with corn.
    Both have a lot more genetic material than they started with. (A reason so many can't eat wheat?).
    The proponents of GM food will say they are just being more precise with breeding of plants now.
    Also, we don't have a choice, if we want to eat and drink in the future.

12. permasculptor

there is a big difference between plant breeding and genetic engineering.
    More like the fact that it has been overused in along with other staples that were never traditionally used without pre digestion processes.
    yes well they would wouldn't they that doesn't make it true.
    You may not have a choice but I do.

13. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    I especially find it difficult to consume information relating to using animal genes in plant production and in crossing plants with pathogens. So much is still so far from being known for me to see it as anything but dangerous.

14. permasculptor