Is kikuyu grass low in sugar

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by dreuky, Jun 14, 2015.

1. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

I have put this under raising animals because I am trying to find out if kikuyu grass is suitable for a horse that is laminitic and so must eat grasses low in sugar. I have tried google but the answers I get are all about kikuyu having oxalates in it that reduce the animal's ability to take up calcium. I know about that and can deal with that. It is the need for low sugar that I am trying to find out about

2. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Where U????

8)
    There are some issues with K and horses!!
    But a little shouldnt hurt them!!!:nod:

3. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

The issues about K is the oxalates which i know about and are quite easily dealt with. but what i am trying to find out is the sugar levels. With horses with laminitis you need to feed low sugar. There is one place on my property that has a fair bit of K and I am thinking if it is low in sugar (which I think it maybe) it would be a good idea to enlarge this area to be used in spring and autumn the two times of year that the sugar levels in grass go through the roof and a horse that is prone to laminitis will get it
    I'm at Milang SA the bottom of the Murray

4. Terra

Terra Moderator

I would say be careful , I put my horses in a paddock where there is lots of kikuyu when I sold my place and was so busy with the move (didn't have to feed daily) they came out of there FAT as pigs .

I know there is 10 million things on the internet , I know and respect Crisanne as you know doubt have already found out there is more to laminitis than just feed .

hope this helps .

Katys site

https://www.safergrass.org/articles.html

Crisannes site

https://www.equethy.com/page12.htm

5. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

Thanks Terra. The sites were worth looking at. If your horses got fat on kikuyu that probably says it all. I think I will have to look into native grasses. I have a very small patch which I was hoping to increase by just sparing those seeds maybe I will have to bit the bullet and buy some seed. Only problem is native seed is expensive!!

6. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Collect native seed from roadside = free!!!
    or there may b landcare groups in SA who deal in native seeds Elemyus ,,Danthonia, microlena etc good stock fodder

7. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

Native grass is definitely on my wish list and as I move around the district I have been noting any native grass areas so that I can come back when they are in seed.
    Horse SA is holding a workshop on native grasses for horses next weekend which I am going to. Hopefully I can get some good tips from that.