Is broodyness in a chicken,good reason to kill it?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by bernado soares, Nov 7, 2009.

1. bernado soares

bernado soares Junior Member

Now folks it's a dog eat dog world out there and compassion can be a bit thin on the ground.I am faced with an interesting dillema,I have a broody silky she is generally bullied by a couple of bigger brown loghams and at the moment has gone broody so no eggs.She has supplied in the past but now she just sits on the others eggs.I am thinking about knocking her off and feeding her to the dog,so I guess it's a dog eat chicken world.I would probably give her away but I have a problem with exporting my nutrients off property.It is not much of a chicken personality wise and as a silky goes its fairly unremarkable.I have almost made my mind up to finish this freeloader but I would like some opinions from the forum on the matter as it is still a minor moral dillema to me.Please I want practicle advice not sad and bemoaning vegan pleas of animal lib rubbish,or overtly spiritual diatribe.The question is to kill or not to kill.....
    Best wishes Bernado :axe:

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Re: Is broodyness in a chicken,good reason to kill it?

So are you really asking when she is likely to lay again and how long should you wait?

I'm sure it happens, but I've never actually seen a dog eat another dog ;-)

3. Bird

Bird Junior Member

Hi Bernado

If you want more chickens let the silky mother the others eggs, just move her to a seperate pen until little ones are big enough to join main pen/tractor
    I have often used bantoms as mothers for my meat and laying hens, they do seem to be more broody than the larger varieties.
    on the other hand if your not after more stock dogs do love chicken, rabbit , lamb,manderines and just about every thing else

Bird

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Yeah, I'm with bird...

The problem is the solution. We have one bantam and she has just finished raising a chick, which still seems attached to her, and now she has gone broody again. I've just popped her in a separate coop on the other chooks eggs to see if she can raise a good clutch this time. I'll just leave her there until the chicks are big enough. Hopefully I will get enough new birds to fill another chook dome. I guess my thoughts are that if I get a few old girls that aren't laying any more, I'll put them in a chook dome somewhere, where their job is just to dig until the end of their days. But then again I understand silkies aren't big diggers.

Do you have a cage you can put her in to stop her feeling broody? I have seen folks use a raised wire cage where the bird can't get comfy and soon they change their mind. You could bang her in there if she shows the signs.

Otherwise, it just comes down to if you can sleep OK at night, which I assume you can BS. After all anything beyond the purely practical is really just sad and bemoaning vegan pleas of animal lib rubbish,or overtly spiritual diatribe. Isn't it?

5. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Put her in a cage with a couple of roosters. She de-cluck in no time...

6. Mumchook

Mumchook Junior Member

Hi Bernado...

Simply replying to your subject line "Is broodyness in a chicken,good reason to kill it?" I would say NO! If I did that each time I had a broody I'd have lost at least half my flock by this stage! :eek: :shock:

In the interests of someone coming along at some point in the future, reading this thread and becoming awfully worried that they need to kill their chook if she goes broody, here's what I do: when I have a broody or three that I want to "de-brood" I simply put her/them under cover from the weather in an airy wire cage or small pen with food and water and no nest box or cozy corners. A small rabbit hutch with the night house closed up and inaccessable is ideal for one or two, and I use a small pen when I have several broodies at once. The general rule is if they've been broody for two days, lock them up in a cage for two days (four days/four days, and so forth). There was a theory once upon a time that you locked up a clucky hen for several days with no food or water but that's simply cruel. All you want to do is to remove the dark, cozy, jungly, broody atmosphere, have some air blowin' round those feathers, and get them back to normal life and laying again.

However, Silkies are apparently excellent mothers and go broody frequently, so I would suggest if you don't want the services of the brilliant Silky for the occasional job of chick raising, or don't want to have to bother with the above de-broodying process, then perhaps don't keep the breed at all and choose to do with this one what you will. :)

:wave:

7. janahn

janahn Junior Member

Perhaps you have a problem with decision making.

So I conducted a telephone survey on your behalf amongst 20 randomly selected local farmers.

Based on the information provided 19 elected to kill, whilst 1 requested a deferral until the grandkids came out to visit.

https://www.janahn.com.au

8. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    have been grappling with the same dilemma, only with us as the eventual recipients of the meal, until realised how much weight she'd lost while broody - not worth the plucking.
    Kept her separated for days at a time, she kept breaking through the fences to get to the nest, getting more and more determined as each day progressed. Had constructed such an Alctraz to keep her away that when she got through that one too, I couldn't physically take it down myself to move her again.
    Oh yes, that was when I thought about the pot.
    She's survived (thus far) but three weeks into 'the brood' now ain't making her any more friends around here. And I won't be getting Barnevelders again as it's yet another misdemeanour in a long list.
    I've heard chooks can remain broody for nine weeks, and if that's the case, we'll be fattening her up afterwards, and there won't be a next time.
    cheers

9. bernado soares

Thanks for the advice all,so pleasing not to have to wade through all the heartfelt rubbish to find real advice.I think I will isolate her see if I can get the egg laying trait back.I have a friend with some Guinee Pigs he said if it dosnt work we can make a swap 2 gps for a silkie and he will use her for a broody hen on his turkey eggs.Gps and rats are nice food for my dog so thats the deal done,she has got 2 weeks to show form.I feel a little like Milo Mindbender and once again thats for the advice.
    B.S

10. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

I'm glad you appreciate my absence from this discussion Bernardo. It was obvious to me you didn't need input from a cheese sandwich eating vegetarian pacifist such as myself.

11. bernado soares

Oh purple I would have dearly loved to form a drum circle around her and massaged her various chakras.
    Chanting various selected hits from the Dalia lamas christmas album.
    I have been meaning to set up the pyramid of power because I thought it was the sonic waves from the mother ship interfearing with her reproductive capacity.
    I even considered one of those circulation devices on the TV for her.
    Then I thought maybe she is depressed and a course of prozac would help her,oh how I have laboured over her mentally so much so that it is me that is suffering now(where were you P>P?).
    I was going to buy her some pro activ to boost her spirits but the shipping will be after her deadline....
    Just be thankful thank i am a resourceful unit and I have created a win win situation for her,thanks to the excellent advice of the other panellers
    ....Now get back to knitting your mung bean sweater.......your cheese sandwiches and your book on ahisma because this one has been solved!
    Best wishes B>S

12. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

!? eh ?!

13. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:

LOL alot

14. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

OK I know I'm way over deadline here & you have solved the dilema without bloodshed ... but feel somewhat compelled to add my 2 cents worth ...

It seems a little unfair to me to be considering killing the chook because of what I percieve to be your stuff up. I mean silkies are suppose to go broody!!! That's why people keep them for goodness sake. The dear little dottie old things always come in handly when you've got a clutch of something rare & exotic you desperately want to hatch & mum is in Gutalahara sipping strawberry daiquirs :) Dear old silkie always obliges & saves the day.
    If you wanted an egg laying machine - get a breed that's renown for being an egg laying machine!!! It's like buying a boar doe & complaining you're not getting much milk from her. Well duh ...

15. janahn

janahn Junior Member

helen, what is your age and marital status. you seem to be 'switched on' ? bit of grey matter, very desirable!

www.janahn.com.au

16. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Watch out, Helen. I think Leo is getting a bit clucky.

17. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:

It can get lonely in the wastelands of Queensland.

18. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Too true!

So did you ask Kate if I can have you for a few months PP? I'll give you back (eventually....)

19. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:

Kate says I have to get the spuds mounded before I go anywhere.

20. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Ahh bless her, I think she'll have enough jobs to keep you busy for the rest of your very long life together.