Introduction to Permaculture

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by runa, Dec 11, 2012.

1. runa

runa New Member

Hi everyone!

I am new in this Forum and I am trying to get all the knowledge from the experts about Permaculture, :think:. Recently I came across this book and I was wondering if anyone has read it and can tell me if that is the kind of reading I need to start my project as a farmer...

https://permaculturehelp.com/introduction-to-permaculture-2/

Thank you for your advice!

2. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

I have not read it. A good beginner's book but more suited to suburbs than farms is "Gaia's Garden" by Toby Hemenway. In any case it is a good idea to start small near the house and work outward as your knowledge and ability increase.

3. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

For an absolute beginner, that book is a little heavy.

Other than that, why not link to Amazon directly, rather than through an Affiliate link that makes money for a third-party? Are you associated with that website at all?

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

What sort of a farmer do you want to be?

5. deee

deee Junior Member

A more readable book is Rosemary Morrow's "The Earthuser's Guide to Permaculture". I use it as the textbook for the PDCs I teach. Its very easy to work through. We could probably give you some more recommendations if you tell us where you want to farm and what sort of farming you're interested.
    Danielle

6. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

That book is exactly what the title reads, an introduction. Gaia's Garden is a good book. There is also a newer permaculture title(though I have not finished reading it) called The Permaculture Handbook(did win a Mother Earth News award) by Peter Bane. It has illustrations on concepts and the information is directed to (sub)urban and rural livers both.

7. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Watch YouTube videos of Sepp Holzer, Fukuoka, and Emelia Hazelip in addition to the "Global Gardener" by B. Mollison
    I would also recommend Sepp Holzer's books on Permaculture since it covers a very wide range of topics in a beginner format with stories of observations.

8. runa

runa New Member

Hi!

thank you very much for your replies!

Well, my idea is being the kind of farmer who sustains himself and his family, if that makes sense... I have recently been reading so much about pesticides, genetically modified products, nutrition, etc... that I just don't trust anything coming from the market (does it sound too dramatic?? :think:). I know it is a BIIIIIIG project, but I have to start at some point.

Thank you!

9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

It's not dramatic at all. The frankenfoods out there are scary!