Introduction & connect with those near Limoges & Angouleme

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by gardenerinthesand, Apr 4, 2017.

1. gardenerinthesand

gardenerinthesand New Member

Climate:
    Warm temperate Zone 9
    Hi!

My husband I live in Abu Dhabi UAE, but bought a 5 acre property between Angouleme and Limoges. It is mostly all in pasture, with only a few pine and fruit trees. It feels like a blank slate, ready for whatever we want to do with it. But is some ways that is overwhelming--what do we do first?

Added to this, we will not be able to move to the property permanently for a few years. Nonetheless I would love to start planting trees and shapeing the landscape for water catchment ponds, something like that. It difficult to visualize step 1, step 2 and so on with the restriction of us not being permanently on the property to care for things.

I would love to hear suggestions on what to do.

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Welcome Gardenerinthesand,
    With any new property the first action is to observe ... looking for water and wind patterns, solar aspect, possible home locations, what is growing there currently and how things grow together. Make some map drawings showing where the prevailing winds come from in the four seasons, where the access roads are, and get some contour map of the property (either through Google Maps or possibly through the government). Investigate your climate data, including precipitation patterns, extremes of temperature, humidity, and wind These tools will begin to describe your property and become the foundation for your design.
    Make lists of what systems you'd like to incorporate, what type of home you'd like to build, whether you'll incorporate animals, natural swimming ponds, a water well or tank rainfall water storage. Anything you might think of to help describe your goals for the property. These things will begin to describe where you want to go.
    Then you can start design, working with "what is" to plan your path to "what will be".
    Make sense?

3. gardenerinthesand

gardenerinthesand New Member

Climate:
    Warm temperate Zone 9
    Hi Bill,

Thank you for your response. In fact we have a home with all the outbuilding we will ever need (I think) as we have half a a huge U shape building which includes housing, gite, barn, workshop, garage and more. I am already doing some of what you suggested even though I am not att he propertyat the moment. Good to know I am on the right track!

What do you think of planting more trees? Or should we wait until we have gleaned more information?

Do you know of good tutorial on how to make a contour map of a property. In our location google maps only give an aerial view.

There is a two week permaculture course happening a two hour drive from our property. I am seriously considering taking it!

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Gardenerinthesand,
    I don't know if these have the scale needed, but maybe will help a bit: https://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/france/
    This tutorial describes how to use SketchUp and Google Earth to generate contour lines (I use this often): https://dylanbrowndesigns.com/tutorials/creating-contours-from-sketchup-and-google-earth/
    Planting more trees might be good, but be sure they're where you want them permanently ... don't want them getting in the way of future design features.
    By all means take the PDC if you can, it will open up all kinds of insights and provide the overall design process complete with strategies, techniques, and approaches to your specific property.