Intro

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Anissa, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Anissa

Anissa Junior Member

Rocky the rooster is a bitsa!! Bit of Brown leghorn, bit of Road island red, and a bit of new hampshire. We think!! We got him for free. There was an add on the notice board at our local supermarket. "Free to good home, red and gold coloured rooster". He was hand raised. His name was lonely because at his old home he lived with his father, plus another rooster, plus three hens. He was at the end of the pecking order rooster wise. So was pretty much on his own most of the time. I reakon if you could see a chicken smile, Rocky has one permanently attached. He is now the head honcho of 8 chickens!! :love4:

Oh yeah, and we cheated on that fresh looking circle!!! We've found that we still need to chip the soil after the chooks have finished doing their bit, as the grass has a very well established root system going on and we are a bit impatient to get things rolling. The fresh looking circle happens to go across the drain of the septic and has a bit of gravel about 2 inches under the soil in spots, so we mulched and back filled it a bit.

PS. love the artwork

2. Anissa

Anissa Junior Member

Oh yeah, we have 1 acre. 8 hens, one happy rooster, 2 border collie X's. And one angry magpie which I hope to god stops swooping soon. Oh and we hope to get some bees, do they count? 2 wild ducks that make a pit stop in our backyard each evening in their travels.

3. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Yeah Tully, I thought it was my eyes. It does look like a double doesn't it. The colour's certainly right.

Anissa, does Rocky have a double comb or is it the way the photo's been taken?

I cheat too Anissa, :wink: I find if I break up the surface a bit, the mulch has something to stick to and I don't lose as much water to runoff. Plus, I like to spoil my chooks and they just go wild for the worms. :D

Tam

4. Anissa

Anissa Junior Member

Sorry I took a while to reply. Nope, Rocky doesn't have a double comb.

5. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Oh, okay. Was getting all excited there thinking that he was a very rare and valuable rooster. Seems you are just an exceptional photographer Anissa. :lol: Keep up the good work. Will look forward to seeing more pics later in the year when the weather warms up. Pity the resolution of Google Earth's arial shots are so poor for our poor countrry. An shot from the air would've been great. :(

Tam