intro - new to permaculture, but keen

Discussion in 'General chat' started by david b, Dec 29, 2008.

1. david b

david b Junior Member

Hi guys

My wife and I are fairly new to permaculture. Got really interested in it this year and started playing around in my father's garden. But now we've pretty much committed the next few years to starting off with a PDC and then going on to get some experience. Hoping to find our place in the network...forwarding it in ways that might only occur to us while involved on a more intense level.
    We pretty much have an open mandate....but the ways that have opened up to us have been via a PDC in Aus, followed with experience in Aus and NZ; a PDC at Panya in Thailand followed by experience there and around SE Asia; a PDC in Brazil followed by experience around S America.
    Basically we see the Aus/NZ route as being a safe bet for getting well experienced teachers and solid/varied experience towards our diploma and beyond. We also see this as possibly the best route for making good contacts for cool projects around the world following our experience there.
    The Thailand/SE Asia option we see as a fun cultural option from the start (not to mention cheap), but we're just a bit nervous about it being substandard relative to the training we might get in Aus/NZ.
    The Brazil option seems like a world on its own, and we're excited about it due to having friends there and after hearing about the amazing cultural and environmental situation there. BUT we're worried about how distances between projects, prices and lack of portuguese to start with might hamper our progress.

Of course, we may be completely wrong about all this...and there may be many other options, possibly even combining these places that some more experienced people amongst you may know of. Hence why I felt the need to run this by you lot.
    I suppose the number one thing to us is rather than only a cultural party, we're keen to make real headway in becoming useful parts of this exciting network. I am a South African, while my wife is an adopted one....so we have a "back-of-the-mind" goal of being able to bring some applicable, true leadership back to our country and neighbours one day in the future.

Thanks for reading this beast of an intro. Love your work.

David & Fleur

p.s. one last thing. We're both travelling on EU passports. Fleur has already done her 1 year working visa in both Aus and NZ. I haven't. Through your experience what is the easiest way to go about getting visa access for permaculture training and experience in good ol' Australasia.

2. tlbaraka

tlbaraka Guest

Re: intro - new to permaculture, but keen

Hello David,

I can share a bit about how we went about getting trained up in Permaculture:

We decided to do the training in Australia to get access to the best teachers as well as the full 72-hour design course which was not being offered anywhere near us. The courses being offered were either including esoteric information or excluding chapters of the Designers manuel that we really liked. So it scared us off a bit. We did a lot of research to find someone who we felt was most able to give us the information we required to become permaculture teachers. We also knew we wanted to do aid work so they had to know something in that area as well. After about a year my husband went to Australia to take the 72 hour course and work on a farm. This led us back to Australia working on a farm getting heaps of practical experience in all kinds of systems. Then we decided to attempt to contribute all that we had learned on another project in Jordan. Then back we went to Australia helping some friends out on their permaculture farm. Then we went home to the west coast of Canada.
    We feel extremly confident in the path we have taken and very confident in our knowledge base. Our teacher's and friends in Australia have been instrumental in giving us a good balance of information, hands on implementation and a kick in the ass as well.

You do not have to go to Australia to get this experience but you do have to look for who is giving the straight goods. I believe the people in Thailand are doing a great job and the folks teaching there are very capable.( we have a friend taking a course there right now) If you go onto the Tagari web site you can find teachers that are registered. It does not mean everything but it can help.
    Depends upon your personality really. We don't like to muck about so we ended up with a teacher of that same personality.
    Good luck on your journey I am sure it will be amazing no matter where you choose to go.

Regards

Tanya Booth

https://www.pacificpermaculture.ca

3. david b

david b Junior Member

Re: intro - new to permaculture, but keen

Hi Tanya

Thank you so much for the awesome reply. I actually only saw it now and I've been having issues with working this forum stuff.
    I understood exactly what you were talking about regarding finding a teacher that suits your style. Thankfully we've signed up for the course in March at the PRI with Geoff. He defintely doesn't stuff around, so things should move quite swiftly for us in terms of finding the right people and places to gain experience and start to contribute.

Will stay in touch for sure....I actually have friends in Calgary that are keen to get involved. I'll pass them onto your site.

Once again, thanks for the awesome response....all the best and see you around one of these days.

David