Interesting forum, a guarded hello and possible last post!

Discussion in 'General chat' started by ho-hum, Nov 25, 2005.

1. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hello Folks,

Name is mike jackson.

Now we are over that I live in the Northen Territory. Due to one of Australia's great natural disasters [which we survived] a 'sea change' took us away from our property. I am now 756km from 'home' .. but put that in my perspective, it is 5 cattle grids, not ONE stop sign, not ONE street light or a 4 way intersection. It is 'close'.

We, [family & I ] have the opportunity to retire gracefully back to our property in our 40s. This may not be very 'permie' but it is too good to ignore.

That aside, our property has been 'permied' since 1985. This does not mean it is a fait accompli, this is a labour of love and we will achieve our goals here.

Having been attacked before on a 'permie' site by 'deep readers'... dont do this. I live at ... https://www.nhulunbuy.com/ , a great picture site.

Sadly, I have no interest in the sea, I grew up inland.

I do ask, please look at a map, just for me or the many thousands of australians who do not live near you.

Clare is 'not up north'. Dubbo is 'not out west'. Cairns is not 'the furthest north that humanity can survive'

Mt Isa wasnt created as a life support system for greg norman & pat cash

Menindee has survived Burke & Wills..

Australia exists beyond the reaches of travel shows and morning show weathermen... it really does.

Alice Springs is NOT an outpost. Ayers Rock can handles jets at its aerodrome.
    Julia Creek & Tennant Creek have both haute cuisine and pizza shops.

Elcho Island & Sydney both have Post Offices.

McDonalds has made it to Darwin [and so has bitumen roads & the railway]

Broome is not 'near Bali or Hawaii or even 'over there'.... broome hasnt budged an inch in 1000 years!! Derby is still reconciling this fact though.

My message is... I KNOW EXACLTY WHERE I LIVE AND WHAT I DO... if it doesnt fit in with what you think you have 'heard or seen'... I DO NOT WANT YOU TO BE DISAPPOINTED'.. google a map or something.. I am sick to death of antagonists on chat lines that have no idea of where they live -ergo- so they want to attack or discredit where other folk live because they cant decipher a map [and interestingly, none of their friends can either].

Lastly, permaculture cannot be restricted to the east coast. [preferably about 200 kms from a post office, a farmers market, 4 shopping centres & a KFC]

Cheers mj

[insert wavy, wild,descriptive,cute and wonderful emoticons)

2. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Wellcome Mike .Hope we can be of help tp ypu anytime mate

Tezza

3. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Mike,

It looks beautiful, and tropical. What are you growing?

Christopher

4. forest

forest Junior Member

Welcome Mike

You live in a nice neck of the woods. Are you involved with the mining there? I haven't been to Gove or Nhulunbuy, the closest I've been is the bottom edge of Arhnem Land back in the mid 70s. I've lived in a lot of remote places - Thursday Island, Lockhart River, Mount Isa and before we moved here, we lived for 13 years in remote central Queensland. I've travelled right round our wonderful country, working along the way. It took me 12 months to drive it. That was before the Nullabor Plain highway was bitumened and when water was more expensive than pertol.

When are you going back to your property?

5. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

G'day Mike,

I'm a bit confusled by your post...nothing new of course, I'm easily confusled :shock:

Why did/would you think there was a possibility of attack? What's a "deep reader"??? (By the way, If you want to muck around in the shallow end....come to the fluff thread lol)

Why was it a "guarded hello" and a "possible last post"??

Totally lost here......

I'm interested in hearing about the natural disaster that you survived and where you went for your sea change. Who's been permying your place since you left it?? Will they be staying or going when you return?

Actually, I'm still confused...are you AT Nhulunbuy now and returning to somewhere else or you're going back to Nhulunbuy which is 700 odd k's from where you went after the disaster LMAO I don't get it.
    Please explain??!!

Signed Dumb and Gettin' Dumber :D

6. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Welcome mike

We are a pretty good bunch here, lots of information and ideas floating around in here, I have always got good replies on the many questions I have. Sometimes some hijack theads but it's a fourm and i'm not pointing my green thumb at anyone. :shock:

Ask ideas or offer feedback or just lurk away, you are welcome here as are all green thumbs. :D

I enjoyed your wide angle shots by the way.

Where are you based now?

7. Guest

Hi Mike - Good to see you back. I look forward to hearing about life at your end.

Do you have a solution for a base leak in a f/glass tank? Other than pulling it up and reglassing? Is there something I can use to create a sediment seal at the bottom or something? Not sure what to do with this...

8. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Rainbow Farmer,

Best way to fix a leaky tank, especially a bottom leak is to buy a plastic liner. I did this with an above ground tank, got another 5 years out of the tank and then had to replace it anyway. I am not sure corrugated tanks are worth repairing nowadays [and they make great chook houses/wood sheds/GOAT SHELTERS]

Have you looked for any sign of a horizontal split around the bottom rim?[I hope the tank is one of those corrugated iron ones]. I crimped one bottom split with pliers that fixed it.

An old one was to toss a shovelful of cement into the tank and it would, in theory, make its way to the holes and hopefully block them.

As a kid we had 5 tanks and seemed to be fixing them regularly.

If it is at ground level I would be tempted to remove the outlet, waterproof the bottom with a mastic/asphalt type sealer and THEN cover that in 2 or 3 '' of concrete. I bet there are some good inert proprietary sealers around now though that would do the job a lot more easily.

Then cut a new hole for your outlet further up the wall.

Just thinking about your post though, could the water be leaking from a buried pipe and not the tank itself?

Hope this helps.

Cheers MJ

9. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

..... O BOZO MIO!!

RF..

Geez I am a bozo.......... long winded reply and you have a FIBREGLASS TANK.

I have never worked with fibreglass so only mug's advice here.

From what I have seen anything fibreglassed is fixed with more fibreglass. It is a skill that many folk seem to have and I dont think it is difficult.

MJ

10. christopher

christopher Junior Member

RF,

Fiberglass is pretty easy to work with. Working with and having the results look pretty requires some skill, tho, however its pretty easy if you've don't mind making fiberglass scabs.

C

11. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hiya Tully,

I live in Gove/Nhulunbuy.

Farm is in Katherine, 750kms away.

the 'disaster' was the Australia Day Floods in Katherine in 1998

I didnt want any confusion because when I talk permaculture I am thinking of the farm. Here we only grow a few tomatoes & cucurbits, kang kong & water chestnuts. No more chooks, ducks, horses, rabbits, pigeons etc etc. The town is actually a mining camp so nobody leads a 'normal' life. The only really good thing is the sea - which we now know holds no real appeal for us.

Wife and I are working flat out and hope to go into sem-retirement in 18 months BACK in Katherine...

Sorry about the confusion I am a pathetic & scatter brained writer.

Tks all for the welcomes

Mike

12. ~Tullymoor~

Ah, ok, I'm with ya now....sort of :D

I was going to say you are a good writer....for a bloke :wink:

13. ~Tullymoor~

Arksed you in the fluff thread but thought I'd pop it here as well.
    Tell us all about your farm, please?

PS Did you mean that people have "attacked" you on other forums for saying you're a permie but you are living in a mining town and not "doing" permaculture there at the moment?
    If so, that sucks the big one! :evil:

14. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Tully,

Farm/block is 80 acres in town boundary. The land is flat, partially cleared mostly covered in smallish trees. Original bush, so we do have a few bush orchids etc.

Katherine has an awful climate. Oppressive humidity, temps up to 40c. The average annual rainfall is 36'' a year but you can only arrive at that average by dividing the annual rainfall over past 60 years. It can be as low as 20'' and as high as 60'' so there isnt much average about it. Also the 'dry season' is amazingly dry we have a 7 month drought every year. An old timer once told me we get 3 feet of rain a year and 9 feet of evaporation, which sounds about right.

Now is the good bit, we have a bore on the place with water at about 20 feet which is one of the best bores that Water Resources said they have ever seen. This is as I was told - on a test run in the late 70s the bore produced 100,000 gallons an hour for a fortnight and had a 9'' drawdown.

We do have plenty of water. The water is quite potable but is a bit limey.

The 'house' is interesting. It was the original demountable supermarket at Jabiru when the Ranger Mine was being built. It is now about 30 years old and is at the end of its service life. We are the second owner, the guy who put it up really pissed the local council off who 'condemned' the building but it has survived.

For most of our time on the property we were simply too poor to improve it. You know the story, 3 little ones, day care costs, mortgages, etc etc. I can remember buying the family [and me] a 200 metre coil of 19mm polypipe for Christmas.

The street is dead end, we are at the end. Over the front fence is 6000 acres of bushland and over my side fence is Manbulloo Station at a million acres.

Will tell you what we grew there in another post.

cheers mj

15. barely run

barely run Junior Member

hi floot,
    Glad to have you here...sure you will be able to share some great stuff with us....agree with your sentiments I too sometimes think all permaculture interest is city based, but there are many here not city siders. Also have a problem with hard liner views on any subject cept maybe use of gycophosphate and even then I just keep on trying to inform the local conventional farmers of the dangers. Have found this a very friendly informed forum and am sure you'll do the same.
    We lived in Cloncurry for about 7 yrs in the early 80's (railway) and grew up in Cairns long before it was a tourist destination. The humidity has chased us down to central west NSW...very dry here and cold but mild winters. Darwin still on my plan to visit list have only got as far as Ayres Rock...before the bitumin road was done..
    Cheers
    Cathy

16. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hello Cathy,

Thanks for the welcome.

You are right about this forum, it does seem friendly.

About 10 years ago some permie folk from Melbourne got hold of me via some friends and asked could they visit on their way round Australia. A trip they had apparently been planning for a long time. Well the grand plan didnt happen but they did get hold of me and tell me they had decided to go to Rockhampton for a 5 week holiday and would like to come and visit me one weekend.

I explained to them that if they went from Melbourne all the way to Rockhampton they were probably about 1/2 way to Katherine and it was possibly a bit far for a weekend. They actually didnt believe me and asked if I was sure(?????#&[email protected]@!). I did say 'Yes, I am certain about where I live.'' Thankfully, that was the last I heard of them.

If this was a 'oncer' it wouldnt be worth mentioning. :D:D

Cheers

17. Guest

Love your disclaimer/footnote floot! :lol:

I read the other day, that long posts take less time than short posts, because you have to take the time to shorten them...made sense. So I move we all just fire of AND BE FREE...

Aw gawd, see what happens when I get chatting with Tezza the wild hippy child... :shock:

18. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

RF,

Combine rampant verbosity with burned out synapses and literary colligation is the first victim.

Otherwise you too could write like me.... :D:D

Cheers

19. Dani

Dani Junior Member

My otherhalf's uncle lived in Gove for yonks, Bob Wintle, he was involved in the surf life saving club. But you not being as into the beach you prolly didn't know him?

20. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Dani,

Correct on that. I have only been to the Surf Club once and its right in town, a lovely spot. I spend too much time at work.

Did you see this link earlier https://www.nhulunbuy.com/ its got photos from all round town there and should include the Surf Club

floot